Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

3/21/2010

Like a Kid at Christmas

One of the things that I teach is math.  I am a confirmed math geek, and I love opening up the language of mathematics to my kids.  Too often, by the time students get to me, they have come to be convinced that they cannot "do" math, don't like math, and are just no good at things having to do with numbers.  It is one of my deepest delights to take those "math phobic" students and show them ways to decode and unravel the mysteries of math, and learn to deal with it with confidence and, sometimes, even a sense of enjoyment.

Tomorrow I will join with my 52 sixth graders and a brave group of parent volunteers to take part in a day that we will forever more refer to as "Measure Mania."  I have a set of hands on explorations planned that are designed to allow my kids to explore a variety of topics related to the mathematical discipline of measurment.  Tomorrow, my students will analyze a "crime scene," make and fly frisbee-style flying saucers, measure the change in the mass of chewing gum as it is chewed, build scale models of traditional Chinese courtyard houses, make sand clocks and water clocks, and design boxes to hold choclate candies for the "Ooey-Gooey" Candy Company.  They will measure distance and time and mass and volume and surface area and circumference.  They will determine appropriate scales to make models and floor plans.  They will use what the numbers will tell them to come up with a theory about "who done it," just like a forensic scientist. 

I've worked for weeks to plan it and put it together and make all the arrangements.  I have everything poised to go first thing in the morning.  I am sooooo... excited.  I cannot wait.  I am just like a kid looking forward to Christmas.  I can't wait to share this day with my kids.  I am so anxious for them to enjoy and learn and feel interested and excited and intrigued by the things they will do tomorrow. 

I know.  It is a "teacher" thing.  It isn't anything that probably excites and interests most people, but I am just like this.  This is the other passion of my life -- and I cannot wait for it to happen.

swan

5 comments:

  1. Swan, I love your teacher stories. Your kids are so lucky to have you. It sounds fun, exciting and (don't look now) educational! I know you all have had your share of bumps along the way, but good things are happening too.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:54 AM

    Where were you when my kids went to school? Well, probably not in Norway anyway...
    How wonderful to have a teacher like you!

    Annelin

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL LOL

    ok ok... i want YOU to teach me math !!!

    We both have an exciting day ahead - you with your math day - me with my Dr Seuss day........

    we will have to compare notes !!

    morningstar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kids are lucky to have you as their teacher. The day you have planned sounds like it will be fun and exciting for them.

    I wish you were around when I was a school, I hated maths and still do.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:56 AM

    do you ever worry that your students, their parents, or school faculty will find this blog?

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.