Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

9/30/2008

How to Give a Cat a Pill

Our household is "owned and operated" by two somewhat domesticated felines. Pranzer lives on T's side of the place and Callie lives on my side. They are both serious characters.



About six weeks ago, Pranzer developed a nasty sounding wheezing cough thing. We waited a few days, but the wheezing didn't get better, and in time, T made an appointment for him at the vet. That appointment didn't really show anything of any consequence, and our very conservative, prudent veterinarian sent the boy-cat home to "wait and see."



Unfortunately, Pranzer cat has not gotten better, so last Friday, T took him back to the vet. The verdict? After a whole lot of blood work which has essentially limited all the other possibilities, the vet seems to believe that our guy kitty has asthma. On Friday morning, he'll get a shot of steroids that should alleviate the symptoms. Until then, he's supposed to get a pill twice a day.



There's just one catch: Pranzer doesn't like the pills. He fights and carries on something fierce. Poor T is a mess of cat scratches and bites. Today, she says her hands just hurt. Poor T. Poor Pranzer.



Only a few more days, and he can get his shot and things will hopefully get easier and better.



swan

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:35 AM

    This is funny because we've been fighting with trying to shove pills down the throat of one our new kittens. Upper respitory - the joys of shelter illnesses.

    Master is the one who gets to hold him (because I don't do it right!) while I (try to) poke the pill down. The poor guy. His hands look like raw hamburger.

    kaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:48 AM

    As I am a "animal" person with a house full of cats, please let me give you some suggestions that will hopefully get you to Friday. You can try putting the pills in "Pill pockets"- they are little soft treats with holes in the middle. Try giving part of an empty one first, if he likes that, give the one with the pill in it (I think you can purchase these at the pet stores, but if not your vet probably carries them).
    Idea #2: Crush the pill with the back of a spoon to a fine powder- mix with a small amount of fancy feast or other canned food he likes.
    And lastly, get a pill popper- basically its a long plastic stick that you put the pill into, keeping your fingers out of and away from his mouth. Of course he will still be able to "fight" you, so you can either Scruff him (grab the skin on the back of his neck- like a mom cat would do) or wrap him in a towel. Since he has asthma you want to try to minimize his stress, so the 1st two options would probably be best for him. I am not a vet- but I do have quite alot of experience pilling cats. Hope this helps.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:48 AM

    This website (http://stason.org/TULARC/animals/cats/health-care-faq/018-Pills-Dosing-and-Medication.html)describes the best way to pill a cat. Trust me, after you start doing it this way, you'll look back on your old methods and shake your head at the amount of stress you put on yourself and the cat!

    Also, wash the pill down with water (use a syringe to squirt a mouthful into the cat's mouth). This makes sure he actually swallows the pill, but also ensures that it does get stuck in his esophogus. (imagine swallowing a pill yourself without some water to help wash it down...is it any surprise that cats struggle when we try to pill them without water?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swan, my last cat developed Diabetes,
    I had to inject him with insulin twice a day, he didn't like it.
    My sympathies are with T.
    Warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww...y'all are so sweet to worry about "the furball"! I tried the pill-filled treat...no go. I have tried the powdered onto food...no go. Have I mentioned that he is finicky? Pranzer almost died when I was so sick and I was told by a vet to never force water on a cat because it can stop them from taking water altogether....so I will continue to pill him until Friday's shot. I am going to see if I can go without tonight's shot. The Vet told me I could go to 1 a day if he doesn't wheeze.

    The main reason for the shot-delay is that a cat with minor sugar issues will go into full-blown Diabetes if they are given a steroid.

    Where DID you find that pic, swan? Looks JUST LIKE Pranzer!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Swan,

    I cant help but think that if none of those suggestions help T will be in bigger trouble if the steroids bulk up kitty and she ever has to give him another pill. Then she'll really be in trouble! But seriously, I have a house full of animals, 3 dogs, a cat, 2 hooded rats and a lizard. I feel so bad when any of them get sick, almost like the kids. One thing about my cat is that he'll do ANYTHING for a snickers bar. I could just put the pill in that and he'd never know. To make it worse my five year old daughter named him "ducky".

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another vote for the pill pockets!!
    I fed them a non-pilled one first, and they gobbled down the next one, not even noticing the pills.

    Suze

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.