Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

9/16/2008

Slaves make crappy friends

"Slaves make crappy friends." That's what kaya says, and I really do understand why she makes that assertion. I think that the issue of maintaining friendships while, simultaneously living in a power-based relationship dynamic is one that many of us confront at times. It seems to be the topic on people's minds in a couple of places, as danae addressed it on her blog, too.


Now. I'm going to use the word "slave" because it is convenient and easier to write this that way. I have no intention of exculding from what I'm about to say, those who self-identify as submissive and live in relationships where the balance of power lies largely in the hands of their partner. In our own family, T identifies as submissive, and I call myself slave -- I see no particular distinction in the nature of His demands on our time, focus, committments, and energy. So, if shifting that language around makes this work better for your particular frame of reference, please feel free...
I understand that it is possible to get to feeling like we are "crappy" at being friends when the demands on our time and energies leave us without much to contribute in the sometimes frenetic cyber social settings where many of us have contacts. For those of us who carry significant daily loads of work that arise out of our relationship committments, it is almost impossible to carve out the time to participate extensively in the various online fora that can tempt one to while away the hours on the computer. I know that I can't write and respond and read for hours on end. I just don't have those hours. When things get into hyper-busy mode around here, I'm doing good to check my email -- let alone write or even check in with my regular circle.

I'm not convinced, however, that having "limited" online presence makes a person a "crappy friend." I think friendship is built out of more than just time online. There are people who count as friends in my world who are just as busy and just as committed to their life choices as I am, and I know that their time is limited. I understand when they aren't "around" much. They are making choices (or, perhaps having choices made for them) that keep them away from this and other venues where we might "chat." I respect and honor that reality.


For me, friendship is built from other important elements.


I want friends who are genuine, open, honest, straightforward, and down-to-earth. I value those who will say what is on their minds and share what they are actually thinking and experiencing. I've, more than once, gone after those who only share the sunny parts of their lives, or worse, who make up stories and promulgate lies about lives that are entirely immaginary. I'm not some fragile ego that needs everyone to tell me just what I want to hear, and I'm perfectly capable of making decisions about the things I read. I don't need things edited as if I'd just arrived on the scene last night, and I'm relatively thick skinned, so if someone rants, vents, or just has a moment, it is likely not going to tip me into a deep pit of despair or anger.


I tend to value people who have some kind of smarts. I want to spend the time I DO have with people who think, question, wonder, and learn. I like people who write coherently and give me something to think about with what they have to say. I am not interested in those who never struggle -- who are perfectly enslaved and living in a forever glow of joy and bliss. That's great if it is your gig, but I can't imagine that as my reality -- ever, and I don't want to read about it. Thanks anyway.


It matters to me that people exhibit some sort of constancy. I like steadfast as a word, and I like it as a quality in the people I spend time with. I don't need you to be there, ready to chat, everytime I turn on my computer. I do want to have the sense that you are "around," paying some sort of attention, and investing some kind of energy -- and I expect that, if we are friends, I should do likewise. We may not interact very much, but it is important to me that the possibility exists for us to intereact without having to spend a ton of time learning who we each are.


I know that I'm not an easy person to be friends with -- or to be in relationship with. I have moods, and they are pretty labile sometimes. Patience and some kind of even temperament are qualities that I really appreciate in people that I connect with.


The people that I want to call "friend" are people of personal strength. They've lived enough to have met challenges, faced difficulties, gotten banged around a bit. My friends know what it is to take risks, make unpopular choices, stand up for what you believe, and fight for what you want. They have a few scars, and they wear them with pride because they know they are the medals of honor in the battle to live a full and adventurous life.


So. If I list those qualities: genuine, open, honest, straightforward, and down-to-earth; a person with smarts able to think, question, wonder, and learn; constant and steadfast; patient and even tempered; strong and self-aware, I don't see a single reason (other than time constraints) why most of the slaves that I know would make a "crappy" friend. I understand the things my slave friends cannot give. For me, what is far more important is that list of what they can and do give.




swan




7 comments:

  1. Even tempered and smart means a great deal to me too. I think that friendship can encompass vast emotional territory if both want it to in a very short period of time.

    And I am very grateful that my husband has always understood how good it is for me to have my girl time. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:47 PM

    Amen. An unfortunately rare thing as so many turn outwardly to the pursuit of things in these troubled times, and don't realize the value of the inner life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:50 AM

    Ohhhh.....you've done it again my lovely one!!! Written a posting that I needed to read at just the time I needed to read it....hugs.

    I too had read kaya's post and your comment on it. It came at a time when I was indeed feeling a 'crappy friend'.....conscious that I hadn't been in touch with many of my friends much lately, and that I'd had to rearrange some plans I'd made to fit in with M's diary. That's expected, by both of us, but I don't like letting people down and for a little while I felt 'conflicted'.

    You say "I know that I'm not an easy person to be friends with -- or to be in relationship with"......me too, with bells and whistles on...lol...but the friends who understand that know I WILL always try to be here for them, especially in times of need.

    M is minded to make it a little easier for me to stay in 'lighter touch' with some of the friends I've made in the online community (more of that in an email to you soon).

    In the meantime, know that although I don't comment as often as I used to, I am most definitely 'about' every day my friend.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:28 AM

    I think, for me anyway, I'm rather jaded at the moment. Cynical. Hurt maybe, though with no one to "blame" but myself for the choices I made in my life.

    I recently (as in about 3 weeks ago) "lost" my best - and only- real time friend due entirely to my relationship and the time constraints, various rules, etc. that I live under. She was very much aware of what my relationship is, and had previously been accepting of it, but I think I knew even then that her acceptance came too easily, too readily.

    I was not there for her in times when she felt I should be. I was not in touch with her, by phone or email or chat as often as she wished. Her final words to me were that it takes two to make a relationship, that she was tired of doing it herself, and should there ever come a time when Master "dumps" me, I'll find myself alone because I've chosen to push everyone away.

    There is truth to those words, you know? Not that I have any regret for how I live, the choices I've made, but I don't think not having regret necessarily excuses me from guilt either.

    I agree with everything you've said here, swan. Honest I do. And I know exactly who it is that I can count on for friendship, for that simple and easy support. Indeed, I count you and morningstar, along with a few others - and I recognize what an extreme gift that is, especially now that I'm so personally attached to how it feels to lose one.

    kaya

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think the responses here point to a plain fact about those of us who live in these kinds of relationships -- we have defined limits and constraints within which we choose to live. I believe that the same can be said for just about everyone. The real difference is that we take our boundaries very seriously. I've had many acquaintances through the years who also had limits as to what they really could offer to outside relationships in terms of time and energy, but could and often did choose to ignore those limits to the detriment of their "most significant" relationship. There's a price to pay for that path as well.
    Like kayam, I've lost people (I refuse to call them friends) who just could not accommodate what is the central feature of my life -- my family and my relationship with Master and with T. I have felt bad about those losses, but they are not significant enough to make me wish for another possible set of options.
    I do understand that niggling awareness that "if something happens to this life I live, I could be left all alone." That is true. Exactly as stated. It is a risk. There is nothing that I can do, or am willing to do to eliminate that risk. Having come to that understanding, the implied threat has no power over me.
    I value those who are part of my life even more deeply precisely because I know the courage it takes to stay in friendship with me. I pledge to do what I can to make that investment feel worthwhile.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully said Swan.

    I could replace "slave" with other words too, "single employed mother" for instance, but it does not really matter,those who understand the constraints of my various roles stay my friends, no matter what, even if I only call or write once in 6 months, the others are no longer my friends. I do not lose sleep over it, though I do sometimes have regrets, but I value my true friends all the more because of it, and they know it.

    Hil

    ReplyDelete
  7. really well said swan and I agree with you there are many things that make up a good friend. And I am lucky that I do have friends that understand. :)

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.