Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

9/25/2008

Our Children and War

I wrote this well over a year ago, on the occasion of the high school commencement exercises for Master's youngest child -- His son. I'm not sure why I didn't actually post it then, but I found it in my drafts, and was moved by the words I'd clearly felt so strongly about on that day. As this political season winds up, now even more than then, these are words my heart needs to speak --

Yesterday we attended the commencement ceremony for Master's youngest. Three-hundred-sixty-plus young people, launched from one of the largest local high schools, headed off into their futures: caps and gowns and dreadful speeches and pomp and circumstance and all the rest of it. Our young Mr. J is a wonder and a joy, and he looked fine. We had Master, grandpa, and T (in a rented wheelchair for the sake of mobility on that still tender knee), and "our ex wife," and the elder child and her boyfriend, and young Mr. J's maternal grandmother -- all in attendance. Afterwards we headed off to dinner together and enjoyed the occasion in good spirits.

I notice I am increasingly cynical about things as treacly as "graduation" ceremonies, but that is, I'm sure the fact that I'm of a certain age.

However, there was one point at which I was beyond "cynical." I was completely incensed...

The principal gave the expected "principal" speech during which she ran through all the great achievements of this group of young people -- an impressive list. Then she took a few moments at the very end of her speech to list the future plans for this class: so many headed off to universities, some headed to study at the community college level, some headed to trade schools, others to employment in the community, and eight joining the military while one had received and appointment to a military academy. She then had those eight students stand up to be recognized.

I wanted to shriek.

I understand that our government holds our public schools hostage -- that there is the threat of withheld federal education dollars unless military recruiters are given access to our young people in their schools. Still, I find it unconscionable. And there they were. Eight young, impressionable people, who had been nurtured and cherished and protected through all their years of schooling -- given up, in the end, to be fodder in a mindless, fruitless, endless war.

I suppose those eight are a small percentage -- about 2% of the whole group. And, with luck, they'll all survive these next few months and years whole and strong and well. Still, I think that our schools should never, ever surrender even one of them to the war machine. We take them from their parents' hands when they are so young and vulnerable. We open the doors to wonder and understanding and curiosity. We cannot protect them from everything. This we have learned, painfully over the years. But let them leave our halls unmolested. If they are to choose the meat-grinder of this wicked war, then let them choose it AFTER they have finished with us.

swan

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:41 PM

    swan i agree. and i am baffled by parents with kids who will soon be "of age" who choose to support a candidate that will keep us in war. i can remember when enlistment was not voluntary and wouldn't be surprised to see that situation again the way things are going.

    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Swan I couldnt agree more. I have 2teenage boys as well as a 5 yr old daughter and I couldnt imagine allowing, never mind encouraging,such a stupid endeavor. Im flabbergasted when I hear other mothers proudly talk about their (mostly) sons going off to fight for their country. YUCK!! I want to shake them and say duh....hes going off to make some oil exec even richer. Also, on another topic, I commented on that picture of you over the leather ottoman but I guess the blogoshphere ate it. I wanted to let you know how beautiful you looked and why I dont look like that after a spanking? I look like what my grandmother would call "what the cat dragged in". I think if I looked that happy though my husband would think I wasnt punished enough so maybe I'll leave that beautiful, contented look to you ;)

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. swan....

    we don't have army recruitment like you do in the States.. at least not that i have noticed.. coming into schools etc.. or in store fronts in towns and cities..

    BUT

    last year i had a brush with something that felt very much like that......

    Two very young men came into our school (elementary school might i add !!) all decked out in a uniform that looked all the world to me like an army uniform...

    They quick marched in.. stood as straight as ram rods at the reception desk.. called me "Ma'am".. and all but saluted.

    They were cadets. From what i can gather.. cadets are a military form of boy scout. They had come to speak to our grade 6 classes - to encourage them to sign up...

    i thought i was going to be sick.. what business did they have coming in??? i raised quite a ruckus about it.. if we were going to allow this group in.. then we should / must allow other groups... from the boy scouts to any and all religious groups...

    Hopefully we won't be seeing any more "cadets" recruiting in our school ever again.........

    i will stop now.. i am a pacifist from way back when...... and usually keep my mouth shut about my beliefs.. but your post brought back the anger of that day.. the senselessness of all of it......

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.