Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

6/09/2009

Do You Ever Wonder...?

Indulge me for just a few minutes and take a look at the list of Desires/ Pleasures that follows:

___being needed
___being helpful
___being loved
___being appreciated
___pleasing others
___acceptance
___approval
___serving others
___giving to others
___being perfect
___being a good citizen
___being peaceful
___being secure
___deference to others
___being considerate
___accepting others
___being non-judgmental
___being tolerant
___philanthropy
___charity
___causes
___serving the family
___submissiveness
___asceticism
___hard work
___drudgery
___routine
___competence
___loyalty
___respect for authority


There are 30 items in that list. How many did you recognize in yourself? Me? I can check off 20 of those "desires" or "pleasures" without even having to think about it much. That list feels like it is about how I am, and it is also descriptive of what I've worked to become. I see many of those qualities as "positive" and somehow "right."

The list however, comes from this website: Masochistic Personality Disorder. Actually, I understand that the DSM-IV has re-named this personality type, and now refers to it as Self-Defeating Personality Disorder. Wow!


The DSM-IV states:
302.83 Sexual Masochism
In order for BDSM to be a disorder BOTH A and B must be present:

A. Over a period of at least 6 months, recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving the act (real, not simulated) of being humiliated, beaten, bound or otherwise made to suffer.

B. The fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Now, by those criteria, my orientation to sexual masochism does not attain to the level of a "disorder." I surely have to own up to A, but not B. I'm a pretty functional human being for the most part. Still, here lately, I've wondered about all of this from a "mental health" point of view.


Time spent out in "the community" last weekend didn't help any. I sat at the play party last Saturday evening, and looked at a significant number of people there who, in my view, seem pretty far from "functional" on a variety of levels. It used to be that I'd go to play parties and meet a fair number of people (maybe even a majority) who seemed like "regular" folks who just happened to like to get together and beat the tar out of one another. They had real jobs, and real families and all the usual concerns that anyone else had, and they could sit and carry on an intelligent and interesting conversation apart from their obvious kinks. Not so much in this crowd that we were with last weekend... There, we were uncomfortable and uneasy and so clearly did not "fit in." Still we WERE there. What is it that causes us (and I do think we are intelligent, and successful, and responsible, and pretty normal) to choose to associate with a veritable host of weirdos and misfits? Does it point to a "lack of functioning?"


Too, I look around the circle of people who read here (not that we ever actually hear from most who only lurk), some of whom have been following for nearly five years, and I see not a single one who chooses to live their life in the way that I do -- or that we do. It isn't that we've been trying to convert or persuade anyone to follow our path; far from it, but wouldn't you think that in five years, and after a gazillion hits (337,722) to our combined sites, someone would show up that would look sort of similar? Unless of course we really are just too weird, deviant, perverse to imagine... Alternative is one thing, but come on!

It took me a long time to come to terms with the awareness of my masochism. I really struggled with it, but eventually, I came to own the label and embrace the reality of that part of myself. I don't feel ashamed or unhappy about it these days. But here lately I'm wondering -- am I fooling myself? Am I following a path that leads to some sort of catastrophic ending? Should I be working to work my way out of this place that I've gotten into? There is not one bit of that set of questions that evokes an affirmative response in me. I really do think that I am where I should be, where I am most authentic and most healthy. I don't feel delusional; at least I don't think I do. What does "delusional" feel like?

I'm going to believe that my wondering along this line is just an artifact of the way my quirky mind works. But I do wonder if anyone besides me ever wonders?


swan

9 comments:

  1. trust me when i say... i am questioning a whole mess of things these days... including being a deviant.......

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always happy to indulge you dear friend :) I'd readily tick most of those boxes, with the exeption of a handful, too.

    I gave up trying to work out if we were 'sane' a long time ago....probably about the same time as I picked up a fridge magnet that said 'one in four people are crazy....think of three friends....if they seem ok, then you're the one!'.

    I sometimes think we're all a little 'disfunctional' in other's eyes, both within this community and wider. At the end of the day, the yardstick for us is simply are we happy, and are we hurting anyone else by the life we choose to lead. Outside of that, I dont' question too much anymore.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, you pulled me out of lurkdom :D

    You nailed it with this:
    "I sometimes think we're all a little 'disfunctional' in other's eyes, both within this community and wider. At the end of the day, the yardstick for us is simply are we happy, and are we hurting anyone else by the life we choose to lead. Outside of that, I dont' question too much anymore."

    After that acceptance my life has gotten a lot easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as that list goes, oh please. This incessant need to categorize and label and pigeonhole personality types, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, PTypes Personality Types, blah blah blah.

    Pseudo-scientific horoscopes. They can all bite me. Who the hell *doesn't* want to be loved? Or needed? Or appreciated?

    Sociopaths? Jesus...

    And it's not just you who feels like you never met anyone who is just like you because of your blog; I have very rarely had readers who were "just like us". They read because of my cat stories, or our D/s moments, or they want to hear about our kids, or they like my rants, because they are voyeurs and they enjoy what we do, want what we do or loathe what we do.

    But nobody has been exactly like our relationship.

    So be yourself. And fuck everyone else. :) TA DA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:50 PM

    Well, I distinctly remember confessing most tearfully to a therapist once, my deepest darkest secret: I cannot orgasm without fantasies of pain.

    She assured me I wasn't crazy or abnormal. This coming from one within the profession.

    So see? You're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wandering traveler11:19 PM

    my dear swan,
    the ONLY measure that matters is your internal one - do your admittedly uncommon circumstances give you meaning? a sense of passionate (and not just sexual) belonging in the world? does your truth feel allowed and nurtured? are you all consensual adults? isn't there, at the root of this all, a deep and abiding love?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never gotten hung up on what works for me - not sure why - I just haven't. I'm comfortable and alwways have been with my sexuality and how I like things (unfortunately D. couldn't say the same thing) ... that being said, I think everyone goes through periods where they question themselves, where they wonder how do they fit in? DO they fit in? I thihnk that is part of the human experience.

    and the reality, swan, is that NONE of us know waht the end of the path brings - even when you think you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ??!?

    There is something unhealthy about a desire to be peaceful?

    In some ways, I'm more curious about your concern that none of your readers - or at least those who comment - seem to be living a life similar to yours. It's late and my thoughts don't seem to be holding together, so I'm scrapping most of what I meant to say and will just toss this in.

    My Master has a slave in addition to me, whose position is probably unclassifiable in "normal" BDSM terms. While living together is not an option, he would certainly have liked bringing us together, using us together, and/or manipulating us for his pleasure. And I would have liked having a family of sorts, and a companion in service - perhaps even a lover. It just didn't work out, much as I would have liked to have made it work.

    We met - and it turns out we're from separate planets. Or pretty close to it. I'm a poet. He's a literalist. That pretty much defines the problem. My Master appreciates this and has dropped the matter.

    And so there it is. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But there are usually at least a few others who are as "weird" as you are - or even as weird as I am.

    At least, I hope so...

    (I do really appreciate your thoughts, swan, despite my normal silence. Many thanks.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:39 AM

    I think I ticked 22 boxes...and I'm definitely A but not B..yay I'm not suffering from a disorder!

    I go to parties sometimes and feel like we are the only 'normal' ones there. That's when I wonder why I feel I have to associate with people that I have nothing in common with except a supposed interest in bdsm.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.