Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

6/07/2009

Unsettled

Seven years ago, with my entire life packed into boxes and just a bit behind me in the moving van, I pulled into Cincinnati and began to live the life that, until that time, we'd all just imagined. Those beginning days and months were breathless and joyful and busy and full of the adventure of learning about one another in the way that can only be accomplished when you live together. So many patterns were laid down in those early days -- the ways that we would eventually come to be together from day to day. We learned about eating together and sleeping together and playing together and getting household chores done together. We told stories about our lives and our childhoods and our youth.

I've spent the last few days, looking back, awestruck at the distance we've come -- at how very much life we've lived together in this time. We embark on the next seven years in bodies that are older, and with a set of dreams and hopes that are different, in some significant ways, than they were seven years ago.

There is a part of me that feels a little edgy about this "anniversary" milestone. Somehow, to me, it feels more significant than the others have. Perhaps that is driven by all the medical struggles of the last few months... Somehow, the simple fact of being here, now, altogether seems like an enormous accomplishment; something to be celebrated and cherished.

We spent last night at a play party. I think I imagined that we'd perhaps share our celebration with members of the community and commemorate the milestone in their company, but it didn't turn out that way. They didn't have anyway to know, and the truth is that we are very occasional visitors in the circle that "they" all share. Whatever the reasons for that (age, distance, point of view, etc.), there was no reason at all for them to celebrate an "anniversary" with a group of folks that they don't even know.

And so, our recognition of the moment was between us; enacted in the dungeon -- in a session that revolved in some arcane fashion around sets of seven -- He whispered something about it to me as we were getting started last night. I'm not sure exactly how that worked, I was entirely focused on trying to make sure that my part in the proceedings was what was expected.

I'm a little disappointed. I've always experienced BDSM dungeons as places of enormous energy -- places where our play was enhanced and augmented by the FACT of being with others who could see it and understand it and lend it their positive goodwill. The observer -- the witnesses -- were important elements in the entire venture. They brought it life and electricity and gave it a sense of affirmation. If that was going on in the dungeon last night, I couldn't feel it. Perhaps I'm too old; or perhaps it is that we've become passe'; or maybe it really is because we don't know any of these people well; or perhaps the community ethic is more self-oriented and there is just less interest in being with each other in the way that I remember.

It makes me sad. I want something more than that from our forays into the public scene. I might be wanting what cannot be had, but I wonder... I wonder if there are other venues and other events where we might go a few times in a year and play in dungeon environments that are exciting and affirming and energizing and capable of elevating the level of our personal interaction to some other plane of awareness and connection?

We're thinking about reaching out further from home, looking to some bigger events. Maybe Floating World in August. Maybe that will be the answer to this unsettled feeling that I am experiencing.

swan

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:30 AM

    We had that same disconnect from a group we tried to infiltrate in Wisconsin.

    I had a niggling fear that it was us and not them. They all seemed to get along great. We always felt... off when we were with them.

    But then we found another group that was great, and now we have this group up here who are also great.

    So it's not us. It's them. There just wasn't any energy with them.

    Anyway, if you're looking for a place to go in August, you should come to Spankfest. *nod nod nod*

    I might pee myself if I got to meet y'all.

    I promise to keep that to myself though. No non-consensual watersports aimed your way. ;-)

    kaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kaya --
    Thanks for the affirmation. I think I knew that it wasn't "us," but it is good to sometimes have someone say, "you aren't nuts..."

    I actually looked at the Spankfest site yesterday while I was sitting here wishing and dreaming. It sounds great, but we (read He) DO NOT DO CAMPING. No place to plug in the TV, air conditioner, radio, computer, and C-pap in a tent.

    And, don't you folks have like giant mosquitos up that way? Our T is allergic to DEET, so we tend to stay away from places where it occurs... sigh.

    So, we are for indoor events only. The Floating World thing is a bit of a haul from us, and it would be the weekend before school starts again, but seems like a great event, and a heck of a lot closer than Thunder in the Mountains.

    Keep thinking good thoughts and maybe someday we'll actually get to meet. :-)

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call people whom we easily get along with and our energy matches, etc., "members of the tribe". There are different "tribes" and we all have to find the members of our own.

    People who "get" each other, understand the jokes, the mannerisms, cadence, the little things...when we DO run across such a person, we grab them quickly, lol!

    Sounds like there just aren't any members of *your* tribe-types in that one group.

    Like our life insurance guy. We have zero in common with him, zippo. Oh, he's a nice guy and he's good at what he does. We're nice too and we're good at what we do. But we're *never* going to connect the way we do with other people who are much more like us. He doesn't get our jokes and we look at him like...dude, what is your malfunction? lol

    I'm sure another group would yield people more like yourselves. I hope you keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to too many public events, though I was surprised that something as simple as a change of venue, even with the same people present, changed the energy considerably. And M's not a fan, so I guess I'm not likely to go to many more (though I don't mind being 'domestic'!!)

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. first, congratulations on 7 years! There is, you know, something mystical about the number 7....

    and truth be told, never been to a public venue - but I would think it crucial that the mindsets and energies mesh at some point.

    not everyone is meant to mesh with everyone. I think kaya's experience is beautifully indicative of that.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.