Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

9/22/2009

Breaking All the Rules Again

We knew, or perhaps more correctly, we hoped and dreamed that this day would come. As of yesterday -- just short of six months post-surgery, Master weighs less than I do (applause here). He may lose as much as 31 more pounds before He figures He is really "done." While I continue to lose weight, that is progressing way more slowly for me, and I'll likely not ever reach the low that He will hit.




I worried about this in the beginning -- just a little bit.




There are serious social imperatives about relative size in relationships. The unspoken rules say that men ought to be taller than their female partners; preferably by several inches, and that tends to correlate with a corresponding social dictum that the man ought to outweigh the woman.




We learn the rules very early. Check out any junior high school social and take note of those couples who are actually dancing. The surest path to feminine adolescent wall-flowerhood is to spring up to a towering height at an early age. All those not quite grown young fellows will avoid the tall, gawky girl like the plague.

Culture is the water in which we all swim, and our culture gives us the message about what is and is not "right" about size differentials in male-female relating. Understanding that comes very early to some of us -- I was taller than my 5th grade teacher, and taller than ALL the boys I knew until well into high school. It was a lonely passage. In an almost ironic sense, those tortured years as the too tall girl in every class were a sort of foreshadowing ... I am taller than Master by nearly 3 inches. We break the social mold. There too.



Now, we'll be outside the norms for relative weights as well. I will likely outweight Him for the rest of our days. We don't look like a couple to the vast majority of people we meet, and if we did appear that way, I imagine we'd cause heads to turn just because of the apparent difference in our sizes.




Much as we tend to associate size with power in our culture, it has never been part of the relationship between the two of us. Within the context of our power exchange, the issue of size has never been one we paid any attention to. He is Master. I am slave. We don't measure that in inches or centimeters. I doubt very seriously that we'll measure it in pounds either. I've quipped once or twice, as we've gone through these months, that He's going to end up being the cute, little, miniature Dominant. He just shrugs that off. Once I even quipped that I'll be big enough to knock Him down and sit on Him. That one got me a look that has kept me from repeating it again.


So. We've reached another milestone. It is perhaps more of a curiosity than anything else. We are who we are with and for one another. I worried in the beginning; worried that He'd shrink and not want a great big tall gal like me. I know it was silly. I knew it then. Sometimes my mind is a wayward critter. He still looks at me and lights up. He still puts a hand in the middle of my back and I am completely His. It was never about His ability to physically overpower me ... Well, almost never; there was that one episode back in the early days of my journey with topamax...



He owns me no matter His size. I am His no matter my size.



swan

6 comments:

  1. "He owns me no matter His size. I am His no matter my size." I love that. I think tall women are beautiful and fabulous btw. And I get that you don't see yourself that way, but I suspect He does.
    sin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, sin, I have learned to see myself the way He sees me, and that is indeed beautiful. Still, I do harbor the experience of being that awkward kid, and she still speaks with my voice sometimes.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish18:51 AM

    Wow, you are brave! I'm on the other side of the computer, and I ducked a little so he couldn't grab me after that quip. You will always be his swan - you look long and lovely over that couch, not big. I guess the grass is always greener when we're looking at our bodies - I always wanted to be tall thinking men loved the leggy women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, swan, me too! I'm 5'11" and I am taller than my Master by an inch (or two?) I currently outweigh him too, but... I'm working on changing that.

    And... While I know it's not NECESSARY for use to be happy (just healthy!) I am convinced part of me will feel BETTER for weighing less than he does... I know the feeling comes from social convention. I know it shouldn't mean anything. I know it doesn't change our love or who is The Boss. I know that part of me that will feel "girlier" when I'm smaller is bred into me by society and lingering biological urges I can't control...

    But I just can't seem to help myself when it comes to looking FORWARD to that.

    It almost makes me feel bad to feel good about it. Meh. Anyway... I love this post.

    ~Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh God, typos! *hangs head in shame*

    ***for US to be happy***

    ~Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swan, I love reading your thoughts and musings on things like this. Because apart from the kindness of giving your online buddies a glimpse into swan, I love the insights you so generously share.

    There have been many points in our relationship where I was bigger than D - in fact one of the most captivating things about him (to me) was his complete unconcern about the size differential. We are roughly the same height - although truth be told I'm CERTAIN I have at least an inch on him, but during many points in our relationship there was NO qusetion I outweighed him - a fair bit LOL

    At this point, we are probably around the same (and hopefully, ME soon to be LESS); and like Chloe and you, even KNOWING that it is societal pressure, I LOVED it when I was much lighter (because I have been considerably so at various times).

    Insofar as height, I'm not overly tall (5'8") but in many of the places I went to school, cultures were, as a rule, SHORT and slight - which made me feel VERY out of place and awkward ... and yes, I remember those wall flower days.

    Having said that, I found once I got MY confidence, height was never an issue. Oddly, pretty well most of the men I ever dated for any length of time WERE short - not sure why.

    For many years now I would be quite content to be even taller - and I consider that a positive improvement over yearning to be the slight, little slip of a girl that seems to be so popular.

    I think another factor is build - being tall and ethereal with long slim bones and slight and thin is one thing... being tall with a strapping celtic farmer's body is another ...

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.