Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

9/01/2009

Mom Update!

Last Saturday we finally moved Mom from the hospital to the rehab facility. She slept all day Saturday and Sunday. By the time I left her Sunday afternoon, I was horribly depressed. Cried all the way home. Worried that her best was behind her and upset that she would hate being this way if she understood.

Got a call from the administrator of the facility and they needed me to sign papers last night. So after work, Tom and I headed north. When we got there my brother and sis-in-law were visiting Mom, so we went to the dining room to fill out paperwork. When we returned to the room, Mom was wide awake and watching "NCIS"! I sat beside her and she rolled her eyes to look at me and then back to TV. She did the same with Tom before we left.

Today, I get a call that she has crawled out of bed again and was found on the floor with a body pillow.....sigh....she was not hurt, but they have put an alarm on her bed and a mattress on the floor so if she does this again, they can get to her.

Tonight, my brother calls and says MOM WALKED TODAY!. I was stunned. A few days ago he told me she spoke to him....I think it was his deep desire to hear her voice that had him hearing actual language, she does not speak. I called the nurse, and indeed, MOM WALKED. Stood and stepped to a wheelchair. They wheeled her to the bathroom. She took a few steps to the toilet. Stood and took a few steps to the chair. Then was wheeled to the hallway for a while!!!

I have called all of my call-ables to share the scoop. And since all of you have been so wonderful with your thoughts, prayers, sacrifices of small vermin in the name of my Mom, I just HAD to tell all of you. Some people would look at this as much ado about nothing much.....but for us, this is beyond huge. The fact that she is starting to make an effort to walk and participate in life again is almost overwhelming.

Tonight, she pulled my brother's ball cap off his head twice. She removed his sunglasses twice. And she patted him on the cheek.

I feel like the weight of the world has just shifted off my shoulders. We have a long way to go but at least we have started the journey.

T

8 comments:

  1. wandering traveler8:55 PM

    very heartfelt cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T,
    i am over joyed to hear this news. This has been such a difficult time for you, how thoughtful that you keep us updated.

    What wonderful "first" steps.
    tc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miracles happen every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. T. that is absolutely wonderful - each journey starts with just ONE step - what a warrior she is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:52 AM

    All...having been there with a parent, I send you my best,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh T, thanks you so much for sharing this with us, it's great news.

    Love.
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news! Dan's aunt is similarly getting better; talking at last. She's been in a coma for weeks now; we're all thrilled too. It's NOT "nothing much" at all. It's totally huge.

    All the best to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful news, and what a relief to hear it! Thank you, for sharing this with us. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts.

    ~Chloe

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.