Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

9/26/2009

More Tales from the Classroom -- Smelly

There are 52 students in the sixth grade this year -- divided into two classes. Through the course of the school day, I see all of them for three class periods, and on three days a week, half of them have Spanish language instruction in my room.

They are all 11 and 12 years old, and many of them are the oldest child in their families. That oldest child thing is pertinent to this conversation. Let me explain...

During the 6th grade school year, puberty happens. My students will almost all make the transition from child to adolescent during this year. Even the youngest and least "mature" will be thrust forward, ready or not, as we move from month to month. It is just part of the way life goes in my world. It is one of the things that I know; one of the things I enjoy; one of the things that I anticipate; and one of the things that I work to manage and facilitate as the waves crash over my kiddos.

The first sign of the impending onslaught each year is the advent of "smelly classroom syndrome." As these young folks move into the early stages of puberty, their sweat glands begin to kick into overdrive, and they begin to exude a very distinct body odor. All at once. And, in a class where many of them are the oldest child in their families, parents are frequently caught off guard by the signs of the impending transition. Mommies and Daddies are generally not really ready for all of this when it gets going. Having one somewhat smelly pre-adolescent or tween in your house can be an occasionally odiferous experience. Having nearly 30 of them in a single room all day long is another thing altogether. Peeee-ewwww!

So, it is time. Each year, I know that I will need to address, as part of the health curriculum that I teach, the issue of personal hygiene in adolescence. Much as I have always wished that parents would just take care of this, I have come to understand that it just doesn't happen that way. So... it is time to speak of many things -- deodorant and showers and shampoo and toothpaste and changing your drawers and what to do about smelly feet. Things should be smelling better soon :-)

swan

6 comments:

  1. As a nanny, I encountered that a couple times. Parents just... I don't know! They IGNORED the smell or something. It blew my mind. I have done the shopping for the new body washes, loofahs, and deodorants a couple times for 10-year-olds.

    But addressing whole classrooms of kids with parents who seem to be dropping the ball on teaching hygiene? Yikes! You are a braver woman than I. Do you just talk to the kids, or do you sent anything home for the parents too?

    Hope things are "fresher" in there soon...

    ~Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your classroom tales...

    It's an inside look at a world I knew existed, but had no idea as to what all was entailed in teaching in it. Please continue to post more stories...frequently.

    I've always been aware that the Heron Clan is multi-dimensional; it's fascinating to see/hear what more of those dimensions are.

    Love,
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish19:59 PM

    Oh, dear, I cannot imagine the occasional smelliness that was teenage boy or boys multiplied that many times over - and with girls added in. Again I say, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chloe -- I have a handout that I send home with kids with a requirement that they discuss it with parents.

    Lyn -- glad you are enjoying my classroom stories. This is a fun bunch and I'm sure there'll be stories galore...

    And yes, Impish, they do not smell better in large herds.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. rose cleome1:26 PM

    As the parent of a smelly 6th grade boy, I certainly can empathize! I'm sure at least some of your parents appreciate your efforts--at this age I find anything I say is largely ignored, but if it comes from someone outside the family, it carries more weight! So, on behalf of parents of stinky 6th graders everywhere, I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember distinctly in 4th grade as a kid being told by our teacher to start wearing deo, that it was this year that we would start to need it. I know someone who is a 4th grade teacher who has the same issue with her students.

    When my son entered 4th grade, I bought him a stick of deodorant to use every morning, although I had not started to yet smell him. I remembered these instructions from my own teachers!

    s.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.