Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

8/17/2010

Worry, Worry, Worry

The new school year begins one week from today.  There'll be 40 new 11-year-old students arriving promptly at 8AM, and I'll be launched, along with them, into a new year with all of its promise and all of its challenges. 

There's just one problem with all of that.  It isn't what you think.  I am not dreading the return to the classroom.  I am feeling ready and eager to see my kids from last year, and to meet these new, young ones who will be mine for the next space of months. 

It is just that...  my classroom has been undergoing a major renovation through the course of this summer.  Before I left last spring, I packed every single bit of everything in my room, leaving it all in boxes stacked in the hallway outside the door.  Piled to the ceiling -- nearly. 

That remodel is not finished.  There is new carpet and new paint.  New light fixtures and ceiling fans were being installed today.  The wiring for computers and the Smart board are all in place.  The old, less than functional closets have been torn out, and the space prepared for new, kitchen style cabinetry.  Those cabinets are on site, along with the library book shelves that I asked for.  None of that is done yet.  Most of that will not be done until the end of this week.  I have been told that I can get into the room and start moving things back in on Saturday morning. 

SATURDAY MORNING!!!

Three days.  Three days to move everything in and unpack it all and put it all away.  Nevermind bulletin boards and the sort of bright and charming silly touches that say "Welcome" to new students arriving full of wonder and anticipation on the first day of school.

I admit it.  I am a control freak.  When it comes to my teaching, I am absolutely linear and driven.  I also know that the first day of school is my BEST day in terms of organization.  What doesn't get done by that day, may, quite possibly not get done.  Or, at the very least, not get done well. 

I am worried.  Quietly worried.  Trying to put the best face on the chaos, but inside I am feeling panicked and out of control and agitated. 

Worry, worry, worry, worry!  I'm exhausted already.

swan

4 comments:

  1. I can totally understand your panicky feeling. I went in today to a pile of over 100 boxes .. 100!!! from the other school.

    None of the new cupboards are bolted to the walls.. so I can't put anything in them.. and they have no idea when the carpenter will be able to get to us.

    no stress to teaching is there swan?

    Good luck with your unpacking and the first day of classes

    morningstar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sooo can understand...a few years back I moved into a new building..and classroom..It was not ready for me until the Saturday before school started the following Tuesday..You know what I did all weekend..Just have to have a welcoming place for the first day...and I am certain you will! abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing worse than feeling you are behind before you have even started. Take a deep breath, do your best to relax and try and enjoy your last days of summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fellow educators! I have a bit of the opposite problem. I have taught 6th grade in the every same room for the past 22 years. Never once moved. Nice of course but I never was forced to purge anything. Also the building is my age, 53, so there are 3 plugs in my room - 3!!! It was built when all that might be plugged in was a film strip projector and possible a record player. I have to be very creative to plug in two computers, monitors, etc., TV, DVD player, refrigerator, copier, elect pencil sharpener, and two fans with out using extension cords.

    I know you are really going to be pushed to get it all in and ready but each time you plug something in - think of me!

    PK

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.