Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

4/25/2007

...And I'm Not Owed Anything Because I'm Owned

Picking up where I left off when all that "heart" stuff intervened, I want to continue babbling about the distinctions I was trying to sort out between obligations and responsibilities.

As He and I talked about the "theoretical" distinctions between the "obligations," or more correctly lack of obligations that a Master incurs in relationship to a slave, and the possible "ethical" responsibilities that may result from assuming ownership of human property, He reminded me that however finely I drew those distinctions, I was still not owed any of it BECAUSE I was owned.

It is an important point. One which I think is too often missed.

He may choose to indulge me in a variety of ways -- because it pleases Him to do so. He may choose to develop my talents and employ my abilities to serve in a wide range of capacities in the larger society because that is how He chooses to use His assets (among which I am one), and that is how He operates as a person.

I may see those choices and understand them as "ethically" responsible with regard to the world and the society, but I must not misunderstand and assume that they constitute a responsibility or an obligation to me. Within the context of our relationship and our power dynamic, I am not owed anything BECAUSE of His ownership of me. What He grants to me is given at His entire discretion, and out of His generosity alone.

swan

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:43 AM

    swan,

    I shall, for once, be brief! :)

    I agree with you completely.

    It is a great pleasure to see you "back in action" after your health scare.

    Sire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:49 PM

    It is indeed a concept quite difficult to keep in mind...

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.