Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

4/20/2007

More Obligations, Responsibilities and Limits...

Sometimes I can get going on an almost obsessive internal stream of consciousness, and can't quite let it go until I unravel all the tangled up thinking and follow all the trails to their ends. That seems to be where I am with the bits and pieces of ideas that I laid out in this Last Rambling Post. I'm just not done with it all yet. There is this sense that I haven't gotten it clear in my own mind, and surely haven't expressed it for myself clearly yet. The words are in there -- wrestling around with one another. I have this feeling that I have the idea, but when I look at it straight on, it vaporizes and goes, "POOF!" into thin air so that I cannot get a clear sense of what it is I'm trying to say exactly. That just makes me crazy. That is the sort of thing that is going to cause me to keep talking to myself about it until it sorts out into something halfway coherent. So, if you don't want to tune into this convoluted internal chatter... change the channel now.

So... I have argued, often in my "Devil's Advocate/Gadfly" persona, that Masters (or Owners) do not have any defacto obligations to their slaves arising from the simple condition of ownership. I have often been bemused, over the years by the notion that the fact of Ownership somehow implies a set of obligations to treat the property in a particular fashion. When I first came to this, it was common to read submissives/slaves who wrote about being "cherished and treasured and valued" above all else in their Master's or Dominant's life. Those kinds of sentiments are romanticized ideals that, if they get repeated often enough, can set up a sort of expectational norm that simply does not logically follow from the premise of a Power relational dynamic.

If I find someone who simply cannot be shaken from their insistence on the cherished/treasured property model, I am sometimes inclined to launch into my "table" parable which goes like this:


A very wealthy and powerful man lives in a fine and elegant mansion filled with the most beautiful objects and furnishings, every piece chosen by hand to satisfy his every whim and desire. The table that graces his dining room is an heirloom of the most pristine quality and finest woods. It is a rare and priceless piece that glows with beauty, polished with purest oils by dedicated servants, but he finds no joy in its presence and one day he asks his staff to have it moved to the barn at the back of his estate. There the lovely table is relegated to a dark corner. Over time, dust comes to gather on its surface, and boxes of household items are stacked on top of it. The denizens of the barn; the small spiders and crawling creatures, climb around and over its elegant legs and turned feet. The glowing wood loses the deep sheen that brought such joy to so many during the time it served in the great and elegant dinng hall. Silent, dull, dusty, unremembered -- the now humble and barely serviceable table remains, as it always was, property.

It is that little story that I keep in my mind to remind myself that I am property. Perhaps I am not a "table or a bath towel," as magdala and I once discussed at length, but I do try to remain mindful that "in absolute terms, if one enters into a dynamic wherein the definition of the status is 'property,' then there is a realistic potential that an owner really does not have any greater level of obligation than to any other owned object."

Now, lest there be any misapprehension of the truth of my life, I am never, ever left to feel like a table. There are power dynamic relationships where such objectification is the intent and the goal, but that doesn't happen around here, either intentionally or otherwise. I AM loved, cherished, and cared for, and for that I am deeply and humbly grateful. However, I know and understand that I am given that love and care -- I am not owed it because I am owned.

There ARE times when I cannot be the center of attention, nor should I be. He has many demands on His attention and His energy. I need to self-direct, self-monitor, self-soothe, self-maintain. I've also learned (especially through the difficulties of this last year) that I need to be careful not to withhold from Him the opportunity to hold the reins. The delicate balance of our inward/outward lives is demanding to maintain, but it must be maintained -- and maintained with grace, honor, dignity, and integrity.

As to the (in my mind) different issue of "responsibility, as I think about this further, I think there are really two different parts to this for me: the "Top" side (Masters), and the "bottom" (slaves). I need to separate the two if I'm going to talk about them clearly.

So, when I contemplate the notion of "responsibility" in relationship to Masters, I think I'm really in mind of the view of "moral responsibility" that is drawn out at length here. A slave is not, in fact a table. A slave is, in fact, a human with the ethical capacity to make morally responsible choices. If one understands or acknowledges a slave in that context (at least prior to entering into the power exchange relationship), then in my view a Master does take on a level of moral responsibility to compensate for whatever diminishment of choice comes as a result of the dynamic. It is this "compensation" that ups the ante in terms of the responsibilities for one who takes on the mantle of Ownership with human property. The Owner of human property is, from a social, ethical perspective, morally responsible to use that property "well;" creating, improving, developing, perfecting... The Owner assumes the responsibility, from an ethical perspective, to use that resource in ways that serve His pleasure, certainly, but it seems to me that there is the concommittant responsibility to answer the question of how the resource is to be used in service to the larger world.

If the Master does that, and does that well, the slave becomes (in every sense) entirely free to fulfill all the responsibilities of BEING for the Master. And, when that happens, the synergy makes the result into something more than there was before the power exchange existed -- the manifestation of Master and slave standing and acting as One in the and (ideally) for the world.

So, I do protect and care for His property. I care for His clothing, for His home, for His knives, for His toys (most of the time -- really), for His medications, and for His slave... Unless He tells me otherwise, I'm going to continue to do that. I watch my diet, I take my medications, I see the doctors He tells me to see -- on the schedule that I need to.

I work hard at presenting myself in public in ways that bring Him honor and pleasure and make Him proud. So it was that last Wednesday evening I made the "Clark Kent in the phone booth" transformation from chalk dust besmirched school teacher to (hopefully) elegantly dressed dinner-party presentable board member for the annual dinner for Master's agency. Even though He must act as if we barely know each other at such events, His look as I walked into the place made it clear that I'd done exactly as I should have.

Sometimes, protecting and caring for His property means saying, "no." A couple of years ago, when Master's evening indulgence in the "Irish" was not confined to Irish tea (as it is these days), there was a night when, quite late, He eyed me blurrily, and declared -- "Alright, the six of you have been cruising for a spanking for weeks, and now you are going to get it. So just line up!" The "six of us" calculated quickly, evaluated the safety factor, talked quietly among ourselves, and decided to go hide in a dark corner in another room... The "Irishman" fell sound asleep, and the six of us, slept curled up, shivering in a corner in the dark -- but we were safe. Perhaps there are those who might have made a different choice that night. Perhaps, on another night, I'd have made another choice (there were many times when He and I played when He was not entirely sober and I never thought a thing about it). I know I've never regretted making that call that night. I did what I believed was the best thing for Him and for us. I served Him in the best way I knew how under those circumstances. It was my judgement, in that moment, that He would not knowingly have me injured, and that He would have advised me to take those "other five girls" and go hide from the Irishman that night.

Perhaps, as kaya comments, this is all "a different perspective than what (I) have given in the past." She may be right. I'm not sure that it is entirely different because I believe that most of those parts and pieces are things that I've had kicking around for a long while. It does feel to me as if I am understanding it at a different level. Or from a different point of view. Maybe that makes sense -- I don't suppose that all of the angst and struggle from the last year could have been expected to have passed by without having left its mark on my thinking. I do think that I've changed and evolved from where I was when I came to this new and starry eyed over seven years ago. I know I'm much different than I was two years ago. I don't know that change is "good" or "bad" -- it is, I imagine, simply the condition of being alive. I'm not trying to convince anyone else -- just wandering the trails in my mind. Chasing the wispy bits that are teasing me from the shadows...

swan

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:34 PM

    Dear swan,

    Again another insightful post and interestingly to me followed somewhat my train of thought after commenting on your last post.

    I'll try to be brief this time!

    Continuing with the parallel to religion - and for context I see a Master in the same position to his slave as a God to his followers (recognising also that this is probably at the extreme, whereas many folk do not seek genuinely to devote their lives entirely to God but take a less committed stance wherein God plays a more compartmentalised role, as also in some D/s relationships) - I'm unsure whether God's act of [supposedly] creating humanity poses an obligation on God to look after his people - as you propose in your post, I don't think that necessarily follows, and your parable of the table is indeed an apt one. And I think, in a sense, it is wholly for the Master to choose what level of love, devotion, care etc he will give (as you also say).

    For the submissive it seems the choice is simple (in concept) and I think divorced from the the Master's choices - if the committment is to serve in any and every capacity, that includes a capacity to endure neglect. However, if, in reality (and reality, though we might wish otherwise, must impose its muddy footprints all over our pristine concepts) a submission whether to an uncaring God or Master is contrary to the emotional needs (not wnats) of the submissive, then the submissive has the option to foreswear allegiance to that God or Master - that choice at heart (at least in my value set) is a necessary part of remaining an independent personality and cannot truly be given away in finality. Of course a person can be coerced, but I am talking here only aboout concentual submission.

    And if I may digress here [sorry this is post longer than I intended but I find it an interesting subject] - I've often pondered on the morality of keep pets - from time to time I fret that I coerce my dog to live with us - though in actuality I don't think she'd choose to live elsewhere - there is too much love and the food and shelter are far too lavish for her to want to go elewhere - but the fact that it is my choice to keep her, a dog that clearly has a personality and is capable of independent choices about a variety of life matters raises the question as to why I have the right to impose my will on hers. As I said, off topic but I do see a related moral issue.

    My highest regards to you.

    Sire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:35 PM

    I'm very pleased to have found your blog and even more pleased at such a wonderful set of streams of conciousness. It makes a lot of sense, if we take things as touchstones on a journey - where we are today is not where we were at a year ago and it's to be expected that we're going take turns and twists that seem like some to be changes, even major shifts.

    I've spoken a lot in my thoughts about the concept of good Ownership - it was very interesting to see it expressed as a set of ethical responsibilities. I guess I never considered it ethical as much as "it is what it is" - the fact that I balance the use/care of my property as a tool as much as a living, loving human being who I share my life with in the deepest of ways. I think that to those who open not only their minds, but their hearts and souls to the Ownership of others, it can be transforming and all-encompassing, yet also be as a natural part as owning a socket set. The nature of a human being in our lives is exactly like that. Look at some of the literature from times when slavery was the norm. It is often that you read about the slave being in some ways more valuable, close and intimate than a person's family - the slave WAS a part of the family and yet property.

    Ah, now I'm rambling on. I've shown your posts to my girl, I think she'll benefit from seeing someone's POV.

    Kindest regards,
    EO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:51 AM

    I'm curious about something, if you don't mind me asking.

    In the example you gave about your Master's "indulgence in the "Irish", you're showing that, in some circumstances the property should say "no". If the first rule of business is 'caring for His property', then that might include refusing to participate in an activity.

    I would agree with that. Sort of. (because you know I can't just agree and be done with it. ;)

    What I'm curious about is had your Master NOT been under the influence, would you (and your six friends :D) have lined up, bent over and taken it?

    I'd say you would have. That seems to be the nature of things.

    The difference, of course, is the alcohol. Alcohol alters personalities, so the 'one in charge' that night wasn't your Master, it was the bottle. I see your refusal to participate as not so much a refusal to *him* as a refusal to be submissive to the alcohol.

    What would you do then, if what He was asking (ordering) you to do was still something that frightened you, but was ordered with every one of His mental facilities intact and functional?

    For me, what I come up against isn't so much that I stop and think "wait a minute. *I* have to worry about His property in this situation", what I have to do is trust that *He* knows what He is doing. And I do.

    I suspect that the first time that I give in to the suspicion that He doesn't, the first time that I allow myself to pluck that control from His capable hands and over-rule His decision based on my own self-preservation instinct, is the beginning of the end.

    I agree that "caring for His property" is one small part of our "job". But when that conflicts with the core business of our "job", which is to submit, then I believe that "caring for His property" is done at His discretion and not ours.

    Anyway.. I am very glad to see you've made it home and are well. I do hope that was an isolated incident.

    kaya

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.