Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

4/14/2007

Tasks

I've noticed that the notion of "tasks" is very BIG in the submissive world these days. It has come to feel like the latest fad. People go on about their lists of tasks, compare their various tasks -- it has gotten to be an almost "guys in the locker room" sort of phenomenon (mine's longer than yours is). These days, if you are not engaged in keeping track of and completing your latest set of tasks, you can hardly consider yourself to be involved in a power exchange. It's just that simple.

It has even become a language artifact. I was talking with an old friend -- someone with whom I came into the lifestyle many years ago. She and I have traveled divergent paths, but we touch base with one another now and then. We'd been chatting for a few minutes when across my IM screen came the message: "I've been tasked with an errand for Master." And she was gone. Okay then.

I don't have lists of tasks. Before this, I didn't have lists of rituals, rules, chores, protocols, or punishments. I don't have a slave contract or a slave registry number. I don't expect that any of that is coming down the pike. I understand that there are people who do all of those things and find them valuable, and that is all fine. I just do not find that the heart and soul of this is in any of that.

A listserve that I participate with (for relative newcomers to the lifestyle) is currently all caught up with the question of what sort of tasks should a new and exploring submissive give to her Dominant so that He can assign them to her so that she can feel more submissive. ARRRRRGHHHHH! Am I the only one who sees the contradiction there? If she collects a whole list of "tasks" that she then passes on to Him so that He can assign them to her so that she can feel the way she thinks she ought to feel when she is being "submissive," who is doing all the work, and who is in control of the dynamic?

Call me old fashioned. Call me a purist. Call me a minimalist. I believe that a submissive ought to be focusing on what it is that the Dominant partner wants and needs in any given moment or activity. An awful lot of the time, that probably amounts to being engaged in an internal monologue about what is the best way to make and serve coffee, or iron a dress shirt, or present oneself in a public setting, or make a bed, or pepare a meal for guests, or fold a bath towel. I hate to be a party pooper, but once we get past the "hot and horny" first flush, an awful lot of submission is about thinking about Him and His needs.

There really probably are Dominants who get into this task thing. When that is the case, I say, "Yippee, skippee!" On the other hand, I have a deep and abiding suspicion that there are an awful lot of power dynamics that are engaged in "task list keeping up with the Jones's" behavior these days, and that the burden for keeping the intensity and the attention level up is falling onto Dominants. Talk about pressure...

I believe that these dynamics should work to meet the needs and desires of those who engage in them. Still, there is a defacto inequity to what it is we do. When the bottom partner begins to "require" continual attention and input in order to stay mindful of place and self, there is a problem. I can ask for what it is that I think I need. He is careful to try and meet my needs. However, He has no interest or desire to engage in continual feeding of anything that is going to look like an ongoing demand loop for attention from me.

I've said it before. And, most likely, I'll say it again. Submissives submit. Tasks, when they are truly generated out of a Dominant's desires, are one thing. When tasks come to be a submissive subculture sort of "counting coup" behavior, that's a very interesting sort of exercise of power.

swan

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:20 PM

    As I am very ill and filled up with pain killers...reading this I think I know what you mean there swan.
    No one couple are the same, and trying to keep up with the Jones is silly...it's not really seeing what you need as a couple and again everyone is different.
    And I would be hopeless with lists..things change here everyday, I would forget the list anyways...I always right out a shopping list and always forget it...
    But yers if a Sub writes out the list..who is in the control position your so right there...
    Also Swan so glad you are feeling better, I have been reading when I get a chance too..just have been so busy and now unwell it never ends hehe.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:21 PM

    Swan,

    I agree that it seems the antithesis of submission to hand your Master a list of things you need to feel submissive (unless perhaps it is part of the communication process at the beginning of the relationship, or it has otherwise been agreed that this is the way both parties want it to be). I know that I would not be very receptive to that as an on-going modus-operandi in a D/s relationship.

    It is very good to know that you are now in a far better state than in the last year or so. It is fascinating how a crisis can lead to such fundamental changes when nothing else works. What a shame it is that we can neither know in advance what the event is nor choose the timing of it.

    Regards,

    Sire

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dominant isn't really into the tasks. I suggested tasking to him and he said, "You'll know what I want when I want it." Nuff said, right?

    I'm a list sort of girl. Everything I do is on a list; chore list, grocery list, heck I even have a 'what to blog about' list for when I've got writer's block.

    So, Master has begun to give me small tasks here and there when he sees that I need some recentering. It's an addition to my everyday life of just attending to him and being of service; which I love. These tasks are generally harder for me, very consuming of my submissive self and quite nice to help me get back to the me he wants.

    I would never consider giving him a list of things I felt would make me 'feel submissive' as the only thing I need for that is him. I see too many trying to be the cookie cutter version of a submissive that no one seems to see that each submissive is unique.

    I am unique and like that very much.

    --luna
    http://www.the-iron-gate.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dominant isn't interested in tasks either. He considers them entertaining me and doesn't want to do that. Occasionally, I wish for them because I miss Him. We don't live together and occasionally wish there was some activity that I could fulfill for Him when I'm not with Him.

    I otherwise agree with you completely...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in the "day" when Iwas one of the many searching for my "Dom of Delight" online, I occasionally came across a critter who would give me a list of tasks to complete to prove my worth. PROVE MY WORTH??? Pardon me while I step outside I giggle out loud in my killer rabbit slippers, Master Nut-Job! First off, he was a bazillion miles or so away and never had any intention in meeting me or finding out if I did "said task". And second off, these were usually the same Critter-Doms who started their most commanding conversations with "Slave, what are you wearing?" (Yes, you DO hear my eyes rolling right about now.) I of course said "ohhhh nothing Master of mine, King of the Universe, Lord of all your survey!" as I sat at the computer in a pair of ratty sweats sipping a diet Dew. He of course was most certainly 6'2" tall, 180 lbs of throbbing man-meat, decked out in black leather (because that was ALL he EVER wore)....Right???

    But I digress... where were we...oh yea.... Tasks... We all have them, some of them are ones we are asked to do, some are ones we take on ourselves. I consider myself a service submissive, and since my work situation has changed and I have an extra day off during the week, I am trying to do a little more of the household stuffs to free up the rest of the clan. Tom doesn't give me a list of tasks, but I know that my first tasks is to care for him. My second task is to care for the Heron clan. When we are all well, everything else falls into place.

    And those other critters?... Nuff said.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:29 AM

    BRAVO!!!!!!!!!

    Stands and applauds! Ever since I acknowledged my submissiveness I've been saying this in different ways... but never so eloquently as here.

    Thank you SO much this posting. I couldn't agree with it more. Every time I hear someone saying that they need this or that from him in order to 'feel submissive' I have to wonder if they've kind of missed the point. True, they may not feel so connected, there may be things about the relationship which need a little work, but that's a whole other story isn't it?

    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's something really. To come across a post and read it, nodding all the way through.

    I have never liked giving tasks as I see them as a waste of time when there are far more important needs to attend to. Above that, I can never quite understand how there can be a lack of those needs to be met to find it necessary to fill in time with seemingly meaningless tasks.

    We do have a few small rituals. They are important to us both but they are minimal and don't invade the bigger picture the way a laundry list of tasks do.

    Truthfully, there is no fun in coming up with lists of mundane things for someone to do. Especially, when you don't really care if they are met out. If you took count and asked all of the Dom/mes that do make up tasks, promising that the answer would go no further than the fencepost, most would tell you that they get nothing at all from the exercise. I have asked many, myself.

    I never could and likely never will, understand the "make me prove it" mindset.

    Glad to see you're on the mend:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:24 AM

    To me, it's simply the difference between those who "do" and those who "are". Well written, thank you.

    Regards,
    EO

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.