Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

4/01/2007

Talking about "Punishment" -- and Not

Tangerine commented:

"it's hard for me think of what fate may befall you ...So I know it's His
call, but my ...hope is that he doesn't beat the daylights out of you...I know
you completely trust Him."


So, that set me off thinking in this direction... about what has brought it all to this point and how it has come to this place for me and for us. I doubt that it works this way for everyone, or even anyone else, but here's the inside workings of our struggle to communicate around the layers that are our version of M/s.

Ours is, by now, a "mature" power dynamic. We've been learning our way together with this for something close to seven years. Like all relationships, ours has grown and shifted and changed as we've learned and grown and changed. It is my strong belief that doing this as adults "of a certain age" has advantages -- however, there have certainly been challenges to that as well.

As I look back over the last couple of years, I'd say that where we are now really began with the crisis that led us to decide that the time had come when He could no longer avoid the knee replacement surgery. That very difficult surgery and its lengthy recovery and rehabilitation period quite literally "chopped Him off at the knees." For weeks leading up to the surgery, we lived with a great fear, and then for weeks afterwards He lived with a level of debilitation and dependence that was almost total. This placed our normal dynamic in an "upside down" mode that, while absolutely necessary, was enormously stressful for us all. Surely, it was an opportunity for me to serve at a very deep level, but it required a relinquishment of the usual levels of control that took us into uncharted territory. Even as He regained strength and function, we found it hard to resume our previous roles.

We'd only just come through that scary time, when the "j-other" came bursting onto the scene. The emotional whirlwind that she created in our lives left us shaken, and uncertain. I learned to withhold my feelings, my belief in the idea of poly, my trust in my own intuitions. Withholding those things, at that level, created distance between us that had never been there before -- and it harmed us in very real ways, especially coming when it did, and especially because it remained unbridged.

Then we dropped headlong into the health-related / sex-linked battle that washed me away into the nowhere land of post hysterectomy hormone hell. It would have been difficult enough in and of itself, but I was unmoored at my foundations.

Add to that, the unending swirl of life stressors that we've faced: aging and ill parents, repeated serious financial and job/career challenges, assorted health issues, the worries that come with watching young adult children do what they must... And there's been more than enough to break even a normally strong heart. I've convinced myself that what I needed to do was be strong, keep my needs to myself, not "burden" Him with what was going on inside myself. Over and over again, I've told myself that He doesn't have the time or energy to worry about the silly little things and worries that are going on inside my head -- shouldn't have to use His limited free time to tend to me. So, I've worked hard to be as quiet and strong and "not-needy/vulnerable" as I could be. The whole time, I have been starving, yearning, needing Him and needing His guidance and the sense of His power in my life.

I don't like the business of being a needy, demanding slave. On the other hand, at some point, there's a break line where there simply isn't enough meaningful contact to maintain the sense of genuine belonging. I have been telling myself I belonged to Him, reminding myself, practicing it -- but feeling it less and less. There is only so much of that that one can do alone.

In doing that -- in that "self-talk," I've deprived us both of a vital connection... My intent has been good, but the reasoning has been faulty, and the outcome has been negative.

Ultimately, I suppose, my behavior in this last incident was a sort of shriek. He saw it. He heard it for what it was. We've spent real time moving back and forward. What some would see as "punishment," I am experiencing as reassurance. It is not easy in the physical reality, but it tells me what I've been questing after: I am not "out there" somewhere all by myself; I am not left alone; He does see me, hear me, know me completely, care for me utterly... He can and will pull me back, hold me close, control me exactly in the way that is needed.

So, for those who would worry. Please don't. I am well and fine and calmer than I have been in many, many months. I am sure of His love and His care. He will make sure that it will be alright. Maybe, finally... this will be good.

swan

4 comments:

  1. swan.. i was so glad to read this post...... so glad your Master heard your "shriek" and responded to it.. and i love your term "mature power dynamic"!!

    In this world of bloggers and BDSM it is so hard sometimes to stick to one's own road/journey while reading of all the pristine power exchanges going on around us......

    mature power exchange is going to be my focus.. we can not do what the "kids" do.. but then we have matured like fine wine?? (small giggle) and we can only get better with time!!

    i love that you write so honestly so bluntly so plainly .. describing the life and times of mature practitioners...it does much to help me find my way.. and to feel that i am "ok" .. that WE are "ok"..

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't comment often these days, but I just wanted to take some time to say, "Thank you." Thank you for sharing so deeply of yourself. I'm also struggling with balancing my desire to make his life easier and the need for his guidance and control. It helps knowing that I'm not the only one, and it gives me new words and perspectives. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:34 PM

    You describe your thoughts and experiences so well, swan, and boy oh boy, do I understand about Hormone Hell. My hormone hell took me so far "out there" and down, I wasn't sure which way was up or where that line between needy and strong was. I couldn't see that part clearly or logically enough. I understand burden, and trying to minimize my needs.
    It's so wonderful that He has pulled you back from the abyss of that hell, and holds you close.
    The ungrounding effects, the loss of self-type feelings, I went thru during that time would have been diminished considerably had I had someone who could have done that for me. It was, for me, truly needed/wanted, even if I didn't realize/know/understand it.
    mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:17 AM

    oh my gosh, swan, your words are always worth reading for me and so many others but this post hit me especially hard as i recognized in it what has been happening in my own relationship.

    i have been taking so much on myself in order to not add to all the major existing (business, health, family, etc.) stresses in my Master's life that in so many ways, i feel as if i am in the relationship by myself most of the time. This happened last summer and led to our crashing totally last fall. i am trying so hard to keep that from happening again. It is just so hard though.

    i could (but, of course, i won't) take chunks out of what you wrote in here and post them in my journal and they would be true exactly as you wrote them for my life and why my relationship is having problems. Wow. What a feeling that was to realize that.

    angel

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.