Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

12/09/2008

An Old Tradition

As the holidays approach, T has insisted that it was important, and traditional for the family of a loved one deceased within the year to decorate the gravesite with a "grave blanket." She has insisted that this is an old German tradition, and so she got busy and worked to acquire the needed greenery and construct a "grave blanket" for Master's mother's grave.



I found it odd that I knew nothing of this particular "German" tradition. She and I share that heritage, and I do think it is sometimes a trial for our Irishman to deal with all the Teutonic energy that flows around our household. Still, I've been curious about where this "grave blanket" tradition comes from. Here's what I found:



Traditional grave blankets have been around for years, and are made from live pine branches, pine cones, baby's breath, and ribbons or bows. A grave blanket might have a centerpiece representing something special about a loved one -- a special occasion or hobby, a favorite pet or talent.
History tells us they were used to decorate grave sites in the winter, when flowers were not available or too fragile to withstand the bitter cold. Traditional grave blankets were used in the late fall and winter and were most popular during the Christmas season. They are designed for decorating the grave site for a short time and are then removed after the holidays. They are to the grave what the wreath is to the door. They are most commonly found in parts of the country where the winters are very cold and snowy -- especially in the midwestern parts of the U.S.




That, then, is the basic idea behind the lovely "grave blanket" that now adorns the grave of His mother...



swan

5 comments:

  1. what a lovely tradition!!! please tell T what a great job she did......


    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:15 PM

    That is so lovely. Beautifully done T.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. My t created this "blanket" while sue and I were off at a state meeting this last Saturday. We went doown the night before to where my 19 year old son is selling Christmas trees for the holidays (besides his sophomore year of college) and brought back with us a car trunk full of evergreen boughs that she fabricated into what you see here. She spent about 4 hours tearfully (and painfully I might add.......her fingers hurt her for days afterwards)fabricating what you see in the picture. Then she went up and installed it. Where my mom is buried it is extremely windy so she even came up with stakes to make sure it stays in place.

    O. K. this is where this gets a bit weird. She tells us of the conversation she had with my Mom while she installed the blanket and afterwards. She then took a picture on our digital camera. The picture shown here is another one we took the next day when we took my father up to see what she had done.

    The picture that she took Saturday clearly includes a bright round orb with a tail in it. We are told that ghosts and spirits frequently evidence themselves as orbs, espeically with tails, in photos, etc. I feel very strange offering this, but could my Mom be waiting there for my Dad as she did most of the rest of her life?

    We've become qutie emotional (well I have) in the speculation about this.

    Thank you to my wonderful wife t for doing this for my Mom and perhaps establishing a kind of contact with her once again.

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:40 AM

    Tom

    I don't think that's weird at all. Spirit can be such a strong thing.

    When my grandmother had heart surgery several years ago, there were complications and, for days, things hung very much in the balance. All that time, I felt the presence of my grandfather standing just behind my right shoulder. I even tried turning around quickly a couple of times in case I could glimpse him but of course I didn't.

    On about the fourth morning, when I woke up, he was gone. I can remember clearly going into my mother's bedroom and, as she picked up the phone to ring the hospital to see how things had gone overnight, saying to her 'she's ok....they'll tell you she's ok'.

    How did I know? Because I believe he'd come to meet her if her time had come to leave us. It wasn't her time, so he left again....but one day I know he'll return. Knowing that brings me much peace.

    love and hugs to you all

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great set of stories swan, Tom. Thank you for sharing it. Its just beautiful and a lovely tradition. Blessings and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.