Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

12/11/2008

Toy Collection #4

These are law paddles, from Hanson Paddle Werks. They are part of the collection of Hanson Paddles that Master acquired in the years when John Hanson still owned and operated the company. These two are lexan. One is 1/4" thick and the other is 3/8" in thickness. Generally, with me, He uses the lighter of the two as it does much less severe damage to tissue. The heavier one is really heavy.



Some cursory research reveals that:



Lexan is a polycarbonate resin, used in molded products, as a substitute for glass, etc. Lexan is used in the aerospace industry for aircraft canopies, windscreens, and other windows, but can be found in household items, such as bottles, comact discs and DVDs. Perhaps the most visible Lexan consumer products are the Apple iBook and iPod. Their gleaming white plastic is Lexan. It also is used by Nalgene for their 1-liter wide mouth water bottle, popular with hikers and mountaineers. Lexan is also used by other water bottle manufacturers.
Lexan is also used in:
The visors for the helmets on the Apollo space programme
Automotive headlight covers to prevent small rocks and stones from breaking headlights bulbs
Racing cars to replace heavier (and breakable) glass windshields and windows
Greenhouses for covering
The Flexdex skateboards "Clear" models
Radio-controlled car bodies
Motorcycle goggles and Visors
Pseudo-brass knuckles
Radio-controlled helicopter fins and gyro mounts
Rubik's cube colored tiles
Air hockey pucks
Hockey rink glass
Nike ice hockey skates (specifically, the TUUK Lightspeed 2 blade holders)
Some guitar picks
An alternative for brass mouthpieces in brass musical instruments.
All New York City subway cars feature Lexan as a defense against vandalism
The jars for Blendtec blenders
Riot shields and the visors of Riot helmets
The visor in some fencing masks, and in many industrial safety shields and masks
Surfacing for features in terrain parks at ski and snowboard resorts
Disciplinary paddles and canes




Actually, there's a lot of information about Lexan, and I was a little bit surprised that "they" know that we use it to make paddles and canes... Hmmm.


But that isn't the place where I'm really interested in going with this rumination. As I've thought about these two paddles, what I find is that I am caught by the name: Law Paddle. I don't know why they are called "Law" paddles, and I really can't track down any explanation for that either. Maybe Master knows?

Maybe "Law" is the name of the person who came up with the basic shape for this ping-pong style paddle?



Maybe someone thought that you could use this type of paddle for "laying down the law?"



Maybe those are initials that stand for something like: Lexan And Wood?




I know that everytime I hear it I am reminded of a former student who's name sounded like "Law," but was spelled with an H instead of the W. I am completely convinced that that child would have benefitted from an encounter with a LAW paddle.


Perhaps, when it is all said and done, all that rambling around is about not really thinking too much about the paddle and ME. When I get too close to the pure reality of paddling with lexan, I have to embrace the intense density of the stuff. It is hard and it is cold and, while it is flexible to an extent, there is no real "give" to it. I think, as does He, that there is less damage with lexan. It seems to not bruise the way wood paddles of similar weight and size do. Still, it is intense.

The one other thing that is true of lexan paddles --and not of a wood paddle, is that I cannot console myself through a lexan paddling with visions of the darn thing merrily crackling away in our fireplace. The darn things are nearly indestructible... way more indestructible than I am.

swan

5 comments:

  1. I've always thought that the law paddle was derived from the concept of,"laying down the law" as you suggest as an alternative explanation. You are right about the lexan's weight. Each of these paddles is 1/8 inch thinner than their wooden counterparts because of the increased density of lexan. Lexan is flexible, especially in the 1/4 inch thickness. It's flexibility reduces bruising in compariosn to wooden paddles. One of the uses for lexan that is not mentioned in what apears to be a pretty exhaustive list, is that it is bullet prrof and is used in windows where security is a goal.

    Lexan is noted for flexibility but intensive sting, and the creation of brilliant inflamation. It is able to be used in water, and is totally washable. As you said too it is virtually indestructible. Some of the very earliest professional quality paddles I ever purchased were lexan paddles and they are still with me over ten years and many bottoms later. Just about all of my original wood toys have long since "bit the dust."

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    9:35 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:14 AM

    "I cannot console myself through a lexan paddling with visions of the darn thing merrily crackling away in our fireplace"

    TOO funny.....you can probably imagine how often I've felt that way about some of our stuff over the years.....and it IS winter, and a roaring fire is VERY tempting....lol

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:10 AM

    I was surprised to hear that the thin lexan was flexible and did less damage than wood. I had always heard that it had such incredible sting, and I thought it was more damaging. Is it more stingy than wood, the same or less so? I had never considered it; we are light players and don't have lexan as I thought it was out of our league. Is it something you can play with at various levels and still enjoy? We are still learning, and developing our play...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impish1, I know that people usually say that lexan's sting is worse than wood. In fact I did in my earlier comment here. It is really hard to compare them. I guess if I were to try to describe the sensation of a lexan paddle spank I'd say it has more sting than wood but less burn. I have identical wood and lexan paddles and if you were to be spanked with both, I'd bet you'd say which ever one was being used on you at the moment was more painful than the other:)

    I think you can use all toys for various levels of sensation. Lexan is no exception.

    Lexan, especially in thinner thicknesses is flexible. When wood strikes tissue it has no give. Thus the tissue absorbs all of the energy force as trauma to the skin and tissue. Since lexan paddles can flex it diminishes that effect to a degree. I'd recommend a 14 inch standard lexan Hanson paddle in a 1/4 inch thickness. If you want to you could opt to have holes in it. There are those who swear that paddles with holes sting way more. I think sometimes the effects of a solid paddle are at least comparable. If you do choose holes, Hanson has a nice service in that they b evel the holes on one side of the paddle. If you spank with the beveled hole side of the paddle you don't get round welts on the spankee's bottom. If you use the other side with the non-beveled holes the sharp surfaces on the holes' edges will create circular welts on the spankee's bottom.

    You really should progress to try lexan, in my humble opinion. I think you will find it an enhancement of your spanking experience.

    By the way we have no interest in Hanson Paddle. I just think they provide a really quality product.

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:11 PM

    Tom,
    Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. You don't know how much I appreciate it. I'd love to try it! I do need to pretty much know what I'm dealing with before I suggest something so as not to scare off the more skittish husband who's spanking me.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.