Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

12/04/2008

There Be Dragons Here -- Reprise



"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."- J.R.R. Tolkein





For a great many people who are connected through the circle of bloggers that write about BDSM, kaya and Scott have been mainstays of daily reading for a very long time. If you read there, then by now, you've surely read this post that details major changes in their relationship and their lives. It is very hard to know that people I've come to care about through this medium are struggling at such a deep and personal level.

Kaya first appeared, at least as far as I know, on Live Journal on April 6, 2005. She has posted daily, or almost daily, ever since -- although she did move from Live Journal to the current site (hosted by Laughing Squid) along the way. She and I were "born" into the public journal universe within just a very few months of one another, and we've journeyed as companions for a good long while now.

I feel for the pain that is part of the current transition between these two people. At a very personal level, there are parts of the story that kaya (now, once again, Tess) can tell about her life and her family that are very resonant with my own experience. I really do hope that all of it can work out for them all in some way that is good -- and I know that it is likely that a long and difficult path is ahead of them.

In the last few days, as all of this has started to unfold for us to see, I've pondered what there was to say, not about this family, but about how our lifestyle community does this business of forming and then dissolving relationships. Somewhere, in my mind and in my heart, I have the sense that there must be some sort of "support" that could be offered in the beginning passages of a relationship forming, that might reduce the risks of it all ending badly for all concerned. For me, this ending is less about the inability of these two people to "make a go of it" than it is about some essential missing piece of lifestyle knowledge or "wisdom" that we ought to have some sense of as a community. I can feel a persistent, questioning "why?" in my mind, and it just will not quiet down. Somehow, it feels like WE missed something with kaya and Scott, and a myriad of others who have set sail into the lifestyle with high hopes -- only to run aground in uncharted waters.

The truth is that we know all kinds of things about getting together and setting out on a BDSM path with a new partner. We spend hours talking about and educating people on things like safewords, and safe calls, and scene negotiations, and limits, and all the rest of it. We are experts at so much of the nitty gritty of getting into a lifestyle relationship. The Internet makes it ridiculously easy for us to find one another and connect across whatever distances might separate us geographically. Except that we have no mechanism that I'm aware of for guiding people through the maze of personal needs, wants, committments, and issues that must be dealt with if they intend to make a life together. Whatever our drives, desires, dreams, hopes, and fantasies, we all come to the BDSM arena with connections and obligations and expectations and assumptions. All of that really ought to be talked about in the beginning days, even as we are discussing our interests in whips and ropes and needles and hot wax.

How to do that? This is what I've been wondering.

It seems to me that one process might be something similar to one used by the Quakers (with whom I spent a good number of years). It is a process used to help an individual discern what to do when faced with a dilemma or a challenge or a major life decision. Friends refer to it as the "clearness" process, and it works inside a small committee of people who come together with the purpose and intent of helping that person reach personal clarity.

Theologically, Friends assume that each of us has an Inner Teacher who can guide us and therefore that the answers sought are within the person seeking clearness. Whether or not that particular bit of "mumbo jumbo" does it for you, there is something to be said for believing that a group of caring friends can serve as channels in drawing on our own interior wisdom.

Quaker clearness committee members don't give advice or attmpt to "fix" the situation; they are there to listen without prejudice or judgment, to help clarify alternatives, to help communication if necessary, and to provide emotional support as an individual seeks to find the right course of action. The process is always initiated by the person seeking clearness.

A clearness meeting usually begins with a period of centering silence. When the focus person is ready, s/he begins with a brief summary of the question or concern. The role of committee members is very simple: members may not speak in any way except to ask the focus person a question, an honest question. That means no presenting solutions, no advice, no “Why don't you...?”, no “My uncle had the same problem and he....”, no “I know a good book/diet/therapist that would help you a lot.” Nothing is allowed except honest, probing, caring, challenging, open, unloaded questions! And it is crucial that these questions be asked not for the sake of the questioner's curiosity but for the sake of the focus person's clarity. Caring, not curiosity, is the rule for questioners. It is usual for such a gathering to last several hours.

What if? What if, in the beginning days or weeks of a new BDSM, power-based relationship, we could find ourselves in the midst of a set of knowledgeable, grounded, lifestyle-savvy friends who could help us find our way to clarity about the nature of the dynamic we were trying to create? What if we could spend time with people who would ask us about the existing marriage that doesn't accommodate our desires, the children still growing up under our roofs, the nature of our connections to our families of origin, our financial obligations and the implications of all of that, our ability to maintain employment opportunities, our health issues and concerns, the complications of combining households and property and bank accounts, our plans for eventualities like death and aging and chronic illness, things like wills and guardianships and medical powers of attorney, etc.?

Why is it that we spend hours figuring out how to signal a partner that we are in distress while gagged and bound, but never seek guidance or clarity about what to do when a "family" level challenge intrudes upon our lusty fantasies?

I believe that the impediment to that sort of community based mentoring of one another is our almost universal "hiddenness." With the exception of the "A" list lifestylers who make their livelihoods by being kinky, most of the rest of us have to report to regular jobs and earn a regular paycheck. We have kids and families and connections throughout our communities. The vast majority of us need to remain discreet about our lifestyle choices. I hope and believe that, if you met me, out in my day-to-day life, you would never guess about the nature of my lifestyle. I sometimes wonder about people I meet -- when I suspect that they might be "one of ours," but I am clear that I can't pick out the kinky folk from the vanilla ones when I walk down the street. How can we connect and ask for what we might need in the earliest days of a new relationship coming into being, when we can't see one another?

We are locked away from one another, and that isolation sets us up for potential disaster. Each and all of us are on our own, mostly. There's no place for most of us to go for the kind of one-to-one conversations that any "regular" set of folks can call up out of the group of friends and associates that people their everyday world.

It is a sure bet that the vanilla world doesn't care about any of us or our relationships. For them, we are simply a bunch of sick fucks who haven't got any right to exist. There's a conviction that when things go south for us, we somehow had it coming.

I've watched too many friends crash and burn -- struggling to make it work, all alone in the face of huge challenges, unable to ask for or find the kind of help that might give them a shot at surviving the inevitable hurdles that come to us all. It just isn't good enough to circle the wagons after it all goes down the tubes, and express our sympathy and support. I believe that we need to figure out how to reach out with help and guidance and support before things come to the point of being irretrievable. I believe that we must figure out how to ask for that help and guidance from those who would know and understand what it is to live as we all choose to live.

For Tess, for Scott, for all those others whose friendship I've valued and who have walked the path they are walking now, I am tired of offering impotent sympathy. I want somehow for the future to be different and better and more hopeful for our kinds of families.

swan

12 comments:

  1. oh wow swan....... what a mouthful you have written this morning!!

    i agree totally with you that it seems so impotent after the fact to write our words of sympathy.. advice.. shock and dismay......

    i have been thinking too.. this week.. that this isn't as much a BDSM problem as it is a melding problem.. a problem often seen when 2 families come together and try and form one family...

    Life is not a Brady Bunch story or Father Knows Best Story.

    And unfortunately - humans...being what they are... don't want (in those first few months / years of infatuation ) to have to look at the possible pitfalls that lie ahead. There is generally a "love will conquer all" sort of attitude.. OR.. they don't even look down the road :(

    In my experience .. my jaded outlook on the world around me .. it is almost better... when one has kids and wants a new relationship.. to keep the two separate.. kids on one hand... relationship on the other... and once the kids move on and out.. then is the time to come together and build the relationship you dream of.

    i know i know.. it is a jaded .. mean spirited opinion.......

    maybe as the years go on.. i am slowly losing the hope.. the eagerness.. the belief that something CAN work... if only one has the right tools :(

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. swan

    Once again you hit the nail on the head, melding this lifestyle with "real" life is really difficult.

    What to do, I don't know either and I am struggling also with this aspect in my life now. I know that BDSM checklists are qute common for new partners to exchange about what kinks they can or cannot accept Perhaps one could prepare a real life checklist to go with this to help with the merging process. Those old hands like yourselves and Morningstar for instance would be invaluable in helping the rest of us Newbies.

    What do you think?

    Hil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:16 AM

    In some ways I think the sort of thing you are talking about does exist. I'm just not sure how to use it - or why I didn't.

    How many times have you yourself offered an ear to me. Offered a shoulder, a connection. You and several others. Each time I'd hover on the idea of using those offers, I'd pull back. Tell myself not to burden others with my worries, talk myself out of believing that the offers were genuine, decide that airing my dirty laundry was too risky.

    I would never say that people didn't extend that helping hand. But I can't even answer now why it was rejected.

    I suppose if I had any answers I wouldn't be in this spot right now.

    tess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:03 AM

    That community does exist. I don't think it exists in the most readily available/highest populated het kink/bdsm world - but it does exist in leather families, leather groups and other communities that have made close ties and close bonds. These are the groups that form around people who live this day to day and in reality.

    I think that in some ways, the Intertubes have been boon and bane. Yes, it's brought people closer. Yes, it's opened up doors for people that might not have had those opportunities. I think it's also isolated us from how people used to discover this lifestyle, through face to face acquaintances and networking and good old fashioned hand clasping. In those circles, there was a better opportunity to reach out and have those "clearings".

    I want to make a difference, therefore I need to be a part of a community, a part of something that feels and is family. I'm finding that in a leather group. It might not be for everyone, but all I can do is what feels right for me. I think others can find ways of being more than just "impotent sympathizers" in something like that. It doesn't have to be grand. It doesn't have to be public.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morningstar, I agree that when we try to "meld" two lives, two families, two worlds, we are bound to encounter pitfalls and challenges -- and I agree that it matters not at all whether we are vanilla or something else. I do think that our power dynamics can create issues in those areas if we let them. Or, it used well and wisely, I think the conscious use of power in a relationship can smooth an otherwise rocky way. It is the "wisdom" piece that I wish we somehow had more of a handle on.
    It isn't like no one has ever done any of this before. I believe it is time to start making all that "vanilla" relational experience accessible in the context of our lifestyle.

    Hil -- it may be difficult; I refuse to believe it is impossible. We have to learn to seek help, accept help, use the helps that are available... and then, turn around and give what we can to those who come after us.

    Tess -- Perhaps you didn't take advantage of offers made in friendship. I know that I made many choices along my path without any recourse to any sort of advice or counsel. I made my choices and I went my own way. So far, I've managed to make it all work, although there have surely been costs.
    I am not feeling like you somehow "blew it" as you made your decisions. I am feeling like there is something wrong about the fact that we are more comfortable being physically exposed with one another than we are sharing our hidden hearts and souls. Until we are as comfortable seeing into one another's hearts and lives as we are looking at all our various body parts, we'll never make the connections that might serve to support each and all of us across the rocky parts of the path.

    Extreme Owner -- you are correct in positing that there are probably multiple paths to creating the frameworks that would give all of us the resources needed to navigate difficult or challenging passages in our lives. I did not mean so suggest that my "idea" was the only viable approach. I am only saying that I am aware that this is a gap that needs to be bridged.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:50 AM

    I've only just realised that although I've linked to this posting today I haven't commented. I would agree with Extreme Owner that support does exist, and with swan that while it does, we often find it hard to ask for or accept.

    I think it rocks all our worlds a little when those we've thought of as 'solid' suddenly go through difficult times.....that's certainly how I felt about Scott and Tess.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Swan,

    The Quaker clearness committee's methods just rocked me as read and thought about how many applications there could be, and how often one could help using those kind of questions instead of well meaning advice. What an eye opening for one's own behavior! Every argument in my marriage is essentially the same one dressed in different clothes, and although we do it rarely, we both are frustrated when it comes round again. Think how well this approach could work on something like that. It has implications for every troubling argument or decision. Something perhaps two people could learn to do in a back and forth manner as well if they stuck to the rules. I would love to hear more of what you learned when you lived with the Quakers.

    For Scott and Tess: I do so hope that the love they still so obviously feel for each other will lead them to a place of peace. It is so very hard to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:46 PM

    wow Swan...ths is why i read you every day....You say so clearly and eloquently what is in many of our hearts...i was also very shaken to read that journal entry of Tess'...but we are all humans..and there has to be some way for us to be there and help..there has to be..
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  9. For those of you who expressed interest in learning more about the Quaker "clearness" process, here are some pretty good links:

    http://poodledoc.blogspot.com/2007/02/quaker-clearness-committee.html

    http://www.iowaepiscopal.org/uploads/pdf/comdiscerng-quaker.pdf

    http://www.fgcquaker.org/library/fosteringmeetings/0208.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm vanilla and i care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. jojo -- Thank you! I had to go back and re-read my post to figure out what you were responding to. Doing that, I realize that I lumped everyone who is "not like us" into some category in my mind that is labeled "them." That isn't helpful or useful, even if it is born of my ongoing sense of feeling embattled... Thanks for reminding me that we are (all good people) more alike than we are different.

    hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  12. my comment was just a gentle nudge:)

    forgive me if i repeat myself, but the reason i like your blog is that I can often relate to the various emotions you express. Your feelings may be generated by different situations than my own, but the emotions are still very much the same.

    I think most ALL relationships have a complexity that is hard to navigate at times - not just those involving BDSM or homosexuality or a bi-racial mixture or those with step children.... the list goes on. i don't really understand why, but love always seems full of challenges - even in the the best of circumstances. i have certainly had my fair share of issues and have witnessed the many challenges of my friends and family. i wish i understood how to navigate realtionships better than i do.

    so... all i'm saying is, the BDSM community doesn't hold a corner on the market when it comes to messy relationships! And they aren't the only ones who need a guide book!

    anyway, thanks for taking me out of the "them" category!!

    hugs back,
    jojo

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.