Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

11/06/2005

Boredom

Magdala has a very interesting, very thought-provoking post about slavery and BOREDOM http://slavemagdala.blogspot.com/2005/11/unslavelike.html

Maybe it doesn't arise as an issue for everyone. I doubt that it comes up at all for those who do "What it is that we do" at a more casual, more negotiable level, with more outs and more choices for the non-dominant partner. However, magdala's words spoke to me and FOR me in deep places. Boredom is part of the condition of consensual slavery -- at least for me, at least sometimes.

When one enters into circumstances where the understanding is that there is a status that is acknowledged to be that of "property," there are certain realities that come into play. Some of those realities take time to sink into the conscious awareness, and then to accommodate.

Many people engage in erotic power exchange in their relationships for many reasons. I believe that the most common reason for entering into power exchange relationship dynamics is that it adds excitement and interest to otherwise pedestrian connections. There is nothing wrong with that. Many submissives and bottoms like the added attention that power exchange brings them. I found that the D/s, Domestic Discipline, and Top/bottom types of interactions that I engaged in prior to entering into M/s required an almost continual active sort of interaction between my partner and I to keep that "energy" going. It was exhilarating at a lot of different levels. Erotic slavery has a different sort of rhythm to it...

Master "owns" all sorts of things: automobiles, bath towels, shoes, a leather coat, his brief case, home furnishings, collectible knives... And me. He expects his possessions to be there for His use when and where He wants them. He values them. He enjoys them. Some of them, He even "treasures" or "loves." Still, He doesn't normally pay a great deal of attention to them when He isn't actively needing them or using them. They exist for His use, His pleasure, His enjoyment, and to make His life better and happier. He doesn't expect or want to invest a great deal of energy into His possessions. When I became "property," I entered into that state, at a certain level.

Now, the reality is that I am not merely an object. I have needs, desires, feelings. There are those, in the life who follow a path of "objectification" of the slave. That is not our way and I have not got enough experience or understanding with that path to comment on it here. I do know that, for me, dealing with my needs, desires, feelings becomes part of my service to Master. I cannot place my wanting more attention on Him as a requirement. It becomes my task, my responsibility, to soothe myself, to find my center, to become calm. Waiting is, by times, a condition of my slavery. He will not, and should not be expected to attend to my needs. The other way around is the nature of our dynamic.

That sense of "boredom" is a symptom. I am learning, slowly, to look at it and wonder what it is pointing at in me. What is the deeper feeling that is appearing as "boredom?" Am I afraid? Insecure? Hungry? Lonely? Angry? Resentful? Overwhelmed? Needing direction?

I am also learning to use the spaces of waiting to take care of the me that dwells inside where it is quiet. The hours of patient stillness can be turned to looking to the one who struggles with the collar I wear so uneasily sometimes. In those quiet minutes and hours, I can listen and visit with her and make sure that the dialog with the slave self is positive and not merely self-pitying. I tell my students that "I'm bored..." Is self-defeating for them as learners. I just need to remember that it is as true for me as it is for them...

Slave may be something that I "am." In the depths of my being I believe that is true. Doing it however, is something else altogether. Learning the actual skills, like learning anything else, takes practice and time and sincere effort.

Thank you, magdala, for the words that set me thinking.

swan

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:50 PM

    I listen very closely to my body. When it speaks to me, I always listen. If it says "eat meat" there is a reason. If it says "drink orange joice" there is a reason. If it says "let's not have anal sex today" there is a reason. If my body has a craving or need that it insists be met, I listen and meet it, there is always a reason. If I ignored those messages I could make myself ill or unable to function in some capacity. Very important to me to listen and respond.

    In that same sense, if my mind sends me messages, I must not ignore them. They are there for a reason. Much as you said, boredom is a smptom, the message that needs to be heeded for whatever reason. I don't always know or understand the reason, but I do know that if I ignore the message that it causes pain, problems or the inability to function properly.

    I don't know that I have a point, I am just talking outloud and this seemed to be the appropriate time to talk outloud.

    I am fascinated with your thoughts on this and am enjoying reading your working them out through words. It helps, it gives food for thought and it gives additional written words to apply to spoken ones in conversations at home as well. Thank you.
    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:51 PM

    When I was evaluating the kind of D/s relationship that I could incorporate into my life boredom, particularly having time that I could shape to my own sense of need, was a defining point.

    I can see boredom as conditioning and defining. For me to accept that is to accept everything.

    In my fantasies it is a powerful thing.

    But I knew in real life I’d always need to have a space in which I can be free to be creative, productive and – yes – entertained on my own terms.

    This told me that as much as I might feel that I needed total ownership there is a part of me that could never really survive under it.

    Sad in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good post swan!

    Not too long ago I said with a group of submissives...that it becomes mundane and boring to me....the slavery....and you would have thought I was speaking another language as they all just looked at me like I was odd. One person there got it. But i don't think many people "get" -- they think M/s means...naked, chained slave giving Master blowjobs 24/7. They don't see that a lot of my service is not even noticed and is not at all sexual. It is just there without expecting anything from Master....I don't expect attention, sex or SM. I want them and desire them. But I have learned that it comes when he wants/needs them.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.