Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

2/25/2009

Bondage

I don't think I've ever written about bondage. It has always seemed to me that we really don't "DO" bondage in the way that I envision that. So, it isn't a topic that has drawn me before this.

This comment made by Selkie on the post about the St. Andrew's Cross has had me contemplating the whole idea of bondage, so maybe it is time to say something about that...


People in the BDSM community seem to use the word, "bondage" as if it is a singular entity. In my experience, it really does seem that there are lots of different practices that all fall under the umbrella of "bondage." The practice is not at all monolithic. Perhaps, when we talk about "bondage," it would make sense to ask for clarification at the outset -- "what exactly do you mean when you use that word?"


In our house, bondage is used in its most prosaic form. Here, when bondage happens, it is for the sole purpose of restraining me so that He can whomp on me without either of us worrying about me staying put. There is no desire or need to do anything fancy. Tie me down or cuff me to something so that my ability to move is limited.


Very occasionally, that might go so far as to include a gag, but that is very rare.


Other people use bondage differently.


There is that branch of BDSM that gets into Shibari bondage. The word Shibari came into common use in the West at some point in the 1990s to describe the Japanese bondage art Kinbaku. Shibari is only partly about restraint. In some ways, it is more about making something that is visually beautiful than it is about actual bondage. It is an intricate, slow-motion dance that the partners create together. There can be great eroticism to Shibari, but it is a very disciplined practice that requires a very patient sort of temperament.


Some people practice the more technical and elaborate suspension bondage. Suspension is not something that can be done safely by a casual practitioner. There is way more to know than "how to tie a knot." Suspension bondage requires a depth of knowledge, technical expertise, and some pretty sophisticated equipment. I've never been involved in suspension play, but I am told that there is a particular sort of head space that can be achieved through suspension.


There is also bondage play that aims for total immobilisation and/or sensory deprivation. This kind of play can range from the use of shrink wrap, latex, and hoods all the way up to full body mummification. Cutting a bottom partner off from outside stimuli creates an entirely different set of physical experiences.


Another realm of bondage play is about creating a "predicament" for the bottom partner. Predicament bondage is designed to create dilemmas. Often this practice relies on binding the partner into positions where any slight shift or movement increases the level of discomfort or causes pain in a different place on the body. For people who are into this sort of play, the possibilities are almost endless.


Perhaps there are other ways to do this that I haven't thought about.


I do think that tastes vary widely in this sort of thing. As Selkie implied, bondage has a sort of appeal to many of us, and it can be a source of fascination and curiosity. There really is no way to know which parts of the bondage spectrum of activities might be enjoyable and exciting without taking the time to explore them. What will amaze and titillate one person will bore the next one half to death. If it intrigues you, it is worth a try.


One other thought on the whole issue of bondage. Like so many other BDSM activities, the issue of safety ought to be considered. There is plenty of information available on techniques and precautions. Wise players inform themselves about risks and make decisions accordingly.


swan

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:21 PM

    I do love the artistic nature of shibari, and have been lucky enough to see it demonstrated on a couple of occasions. Master, though he likes to see it, isn't really interested in trying it out himself. The closest we get to that is breast bondage. He's much more like you've described Tom, likely to use bondage as a means of restraint.

    I did once have a friend's Master do a hair bondage for me, the weight of the rope wrapped around my hair was an interesting sensation.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen pictures of teh shibari... and agree with M:e that it is quite lovely. But truth to tell? Any sort of elaborate rope work would more than likely drive me to distraction! I would get both restless and bored (I mean, I would have tolerated that had he been into it, but would not have enjoyed it one bit).

    Bondage for me has been very much a practical consideration on the one hand (as you say, swan, to keep the subby exactly where the subby is supposed to be LOL), but more than that- restraint allows me to relax.... I'm very much a type A personality in some ways; and VERY service-oriented - if unrestrained I tend to focus completely and utterly on D. - he uses restraint both becuase he LIKED to see me tied up and has been known to leave me thus for a VERY long time - it tickled his fancy but also, it FORCED me to, well, just RELAX and let go... D. was very fond of blindfolds too but never gags (I have this panic thing about not breathing - although I am VERY fond of breathplay, go figure!).

    So ultimately bondage was very much part of our dynamic but bondage for both practical reasons and simply because he liked me tied up.

    One of his favourite things was to tie me up so I couldn't move but everything was available to him and then practice a WHOLE lot of sensation stuff on me, while I was blindfolded... so I never could anticipate whether a feather, a rubber whip, something thuddy or something VERY STINGY (ouches in fond memory) was going to occur...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither Dante or I am really into bondage for the sake of bondage, but when used to heighten the intensity of the sensations, well, that's another story. And for me, I don't have to "worry" about staying still or in position, which is a big plus for me.

    Sensory deprivation is indeed a wicked delight that we've used quite a bit in the past... Dante's quite the master at it, and I reap the rewards!

    Great post... very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have just gifted you with a Friends Blog award! If you wish to view the award, please go to:

    http://wtsubbie.blogspot.com/2009/02/and-award-goes-to.html

    Happy blogging!!!

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  5. my favourite type of bondage is mental bondage. When told to stay in place. When told to not move. When my mind must over ride my body's urge to move, struggle or shift. That is my favourite type of bondage.

    Cuffs and clips, also good.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.