Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

2/09/2009

Lost in the Fog

I got lost on my way to school this morning. A route I've driven hundreds of times, was as opaque to me as the metal doors of the car I was driving. Before I knew it, I was headed in exactly the opposite direction from where I needed to be.



Blame it on endorphins. Wickipedia explains that endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise, excitement, pain, and orgasm, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. Endorphins work as "natural pain relievers", whose effects may be enhanced by other medications.



It is generally understood, within the BDSM community, that one of the effects of heavy BDSM play is an elevation in the levels of endorphins in the blood stream. It is this natural physiologic response to pain that allows some to process pain in ways that we might not typically expect under other circumstances. I am sure, that following the session in the dungeon on Friday night, my system was entirely awash in endorphins.



I do not know the half-life on naturally produced endorphins. I only know that still today, I am fuzzy headed and loopy and feeling completely out of focus -- lost in the fog still. I am remembering that after both of my abdominal surgeries, I was banned from driving until I'd been off of all pain medications for at least 24 hours. There was a clear expectation that I was not capable of managing the operation of an automobile under the influence of the drugs. Perhaps we ought to begin to pay attention to the fact that a recently beaten bottom partner may be similarly impaired for a good long while.



swan

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, swan. I have a definite history of being overloaded by endorphins fairly "easily" when Dante attends to my naughty bottom, and the effects afterward, long afterward, are both complicated and confusing.

    This is a great reminder to all of us to be careful, and to not expect too much or push ourselves too far for a decent amount of time after heavy sessions!

    Hugs and glad you did eventually make it to where you were going without being hurt!
    Tiggs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:46 PM

    I read yours and Tom's posts about the weekend, it sounded amazing and no wonder your still a little out of it.

    Now why do you think you might have left me with a picture that all Doms come with a label which says 'warning, may cause impaired concentration, do not drive or operate heavy machinery after use'!

    winks, hugs and sends lots of love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmm. Extremely interesting question. I have a friend who is both an MD and a pharmacist. I'm going to ask him about it tomorrow, without going into exactly how the endorphins were produced!

    I wish I could have been there.............sigh.

    Lyn

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.