Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

2/22/2009

Trying to "Get There"

Topping from the bottom. To be accused of Topping from the bottom seems to me to be one of the worst things that can happen in the general day to day work of relating as a submissive and a slave. It has been, since the earliest days of this journey, been one thing that I've worked hard to avoid. Getting into behavior that directs things from my end takes the control out of His hands, and knowing, as I do, how He feels about becoming a "service top," I am even more reluctant to skirt that edge.

What that means, in practical terms, is that I very seldom offer anything much in terms of wants and wishes when it comes to the way we play. I don't know how to just float ideas out there without having them take on more weight than I really want them to have. So, it is unusual for me to do what I did a couple of weeks ago. I think I'd said something about feeling chilly, and He's offered to take me in the bedroom and "warm me up." In Master-speak, that points directly to a session with one or more paddles. I didn't even think about it, I replied, "You don't DO warm-ups -- at least not with me. The only people who get warm-ups and aftercare are newbies."

He didn't say much at all, and the whole conversation sort of faded away... Until this morning. This morning, our session was amazingly different than what has come to be the "norm." Usually, I barely get face down over the pillow (ass up) before He's wailing away with whatever. There isn't even time to get physically settled, much less mentally settled. Today, there was a warm -- a real, slow, step by step warm up. I had plenty of time to find the path, get on the path, and walk the path. It was amazing. It took me awhile to even notice what He was doing because I was so crunched down in my mind trying to prepare to cope with the usual onslaught. When I did notice, it just took my breath away.

Somewhere along the way, I felt my mind come to the understanding that what was happening was that, with the slower and more attentive pace He was setting, I was actually able to focus and gather my resources so that I could flow with the sensations He was creating.

I used to do that all the time. Back in the early days of our relating, I was much better at grabbing on to the rhythms and patterns and simply going with the energy. It is much more complicated now than it once was.

I find that I need time; time to hunt down the various yammering voices in my mind and quiet them; time to remember to breathe; time to focus on His touch and His scent and His breathing; time to quell the emotional storm that can rise up in me at the first twinges of real pain, and remember that there can be joy and pleasure in this if I can simply "get there."

It isn't a process that happens quickly for me anymore. Nothing happens quickly for me anymore. I can't rely on my sexual responses to kick in and carry me away. I have to follow a path that allows me to think my way through the beginnings of a session, chanting and breathing and deliberately maintaining a level of muscular relaxation, until my own response mechanisms can catch up. I've never been an easy masochist. I am not someone who drops into a space wher I easily convert painful stimuli into pleasurable sensations -- I will forever be envious of those folks! For me, pain just hurts a lot of the time. If I can capture the rhythm and the mood, and stay quiet in my own mind, I might, just maybe find my way to the joy I used to experience in all of this.

Having Him go more slowly, especially in the very beginning, makes a huge difference.

swan

4 comments:

  1. any long-term relationship (no matter WHAT the dynamic) occasonally needs to be shaken up and reassessed by both parties ... oddly, that has been very much on my own mind lately. I am happy for you that you were heard... even when you didn't expect nor anticipate it - that makes it all that much more special -

    It is so easy for long-term relationships to fall into a rut- to forget and to take the time and effort and then SO utterly rewarding when both are reacquainted with the delights of the early days once again.

    My machochsim sounds exactly like yours incidentally....

    ReplyDelete
  2. swan..

    i am not one to try and pull meanings out of your entries and then feed them back to you... actually most of the time i don't do that to anyone.. cause i just don't know the whole story ...

    BUT something you said today made me sit up and say....... "stop being so hard on yourself swan".. maybe this thought got me so much cause it is the same with me...

    When Sir and i were new.... there was this slow and deliberate build up... and cool down.. i could almost anticipate what was coming next.. and ohhh god it was so wonderful cause i could "keep up" (as i call it)

    Now .. mostly .. Sir ramps it up pretty damn fast.. a couple of swipes with this toy or that toy .. then He leans in and says "are you warmed up yet?" like it is my fault i am taking so long to get "into it"... those words themselves do more to make me feel inadequate than anything else...

    So i think you hit the nail on the head when you said "Somewhere along the way, I felt my mind come to the understanding that what was happening was that, with the slower and more attentive pace He was setting, I was actually able to focus and gather my resources so that I could flow with the sensations He was creating."

    Yeah they are in charge.. and yeah.. we aren't supposed to question them.. or guide them .. but sometimes we hold a truth - shouldn't they have that truth??

    Anyway... it is EARLY monday morning - i haven't had my coffee .. so forgive me if i am less than eloquent (cheeky grin)

    though i am thinking one day this week i may just do a blog along those lines...

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... I can so relate to the difference made by the way he set the tone and rhythm of the spanking! I quickly tend to rationalize myself right out of being able to take a spanking without trepidation or angst when Dante's mindset enters my head and embeds itself.

    But it isn't really about him at all, for me. It's about the pressure I put on myself, the pressure I perceive him putting on me.

    This sounds like a real breakthrough for you!

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dominant often says that he makes me feel the way he wants me to feel. I wonder if it is the same for yours. Do you think that he spanks just because of the way that it feels at his end or is he also concerned with the way it feels at yours? How does he want it to feel?

    So interesting that he obviously believes that you have progressed past the starter/newbie level and that therefore things should all be different.

    I do know what you mean and what your concerns are about topping from the bottom. That's not what I want to do either but we have evolved various ways of working around it. He often asks me what I want, what I feel. That doesn't mean he gives it to me, doesn't mean I expect it, but he does want to know.

    We also have a suggestion box, which I add to occaisionally at his request or on my own. He does not use all my suggestions. And might take years to use the ones he does.

    It still leaves decisions with him, but provides more information for him.

    When we were new, we used to often say that "information is power" and to understand that the more information he had about me, the more power I offered him.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts,

    sin

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.