Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

7/01/2009

Harem?

"When did being poly become having a harem?"




That's the question that someone asked at Fetlife recently. The original post to the topic thread said:

"I seem to have missed this memo.
I mean, don't get me wrong, having a harem is kind of a cool thought, and if it happens, I'm not gonna cry about it, but it seems that there are a lot of men (and some women) that adopt the moniker of being poly to justify this sort of behavior... Polyamory comes from Latin/Greek roots meaning "loving many". This implies that those who would be poly would be in favor of keeping and maintaining many relationships ...When a Master is ok with keeping three women in his household but is not ok with any of them looking for other relationships, it isn't poly, its a dynamic of the relationship they've built and should be labeled as such."



Discussion ensued, and I was a little surprised to see how many believe that when you combine BDSM with "poly," that it really ends up being something else and not poly at all... maybe its a harem, and maybe it needs some other label -- someone proposed poly-mastery -- but it isn't poly if some parties to the relationship are "unavailable."


As time has passed, and the conversation has meandered, I've moved from surprise and bemusement to some emotional position that feels like it is wedged between frustration and fury. Can these idiots spell, "WTF?"


I asked the question, "Since when did being poly become synonymous with being available?" It was perhaps rhetorical, but that doesn't mean that I don't actually seek an answer. I understand that there are non-poly and vanilla people who really don't understand; who don't have a lot of information about this relationship style, and I've sort of gotten used to working my way through the assumptions and misconceptions. I am, however, much less patient with what feels like deliberate stupidity, or personal bias, or some evil combination of both when I encounter these attitudes within the poly/BDSM community. I just don't think I ought to have to explain or justify myself or my choices or my committments to other kinky folks.


But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe an explanation would be helpful. Maybe it really is necessary. So, here it is:

  • I am a slave.
  • I am owned by Master, and He is poly.
  • Our family is a triad-V, and that is outside the boundary defined by the social construct of monogamy.
  • That family structure is driven by our shared love for one another, by our various orientations to life and BDSM, and by Master's desires and vision.
  • And we are an entirely heterosexual family.
  • Some might call our orientation poly-fidelitous. We are surely committed to one another.
  • Poly, for us, does not connote "promiscuous" or "indiscriminate," or "bisexual," and I don't understand when those orientations to sexual interactions became the standard, or the requirement, in poly circles.
  • Master does actively and openly seek out other partners for BDSM play and relatedness.
  • He does not expect His property to be seeking out other partners.
  • It may not look "fair" to outside observers.
  • Power-exchanges are often constructed in ways that are deliberately "not fair," especially by outside standards.
  • What we do is consensual.
  • We'll be happy to explain the dynamic in whatever detail is necessary to make it as clear as possible if that will help those who are curious to understand.
There. Does that help? It is what it is. We call it poly. We call it M/s and D/s. We call it love. If you wonder about who we are or how we are or who is and is not available for whatever, just ask. Better yet, build a relationship with us -- start with "hello," and you will figure it all out. Just stop making assumptions; stop trying to make us fit into your preconceived little boxes; stop bringing your biases and your predjudices into my world and slapping me up alongside the head with it. Because, the truth is, that when I see people go on and on like that, I tend to get to a point where I just assume that they are stupid. Enough said.

swan

6 comments:

  1. Nice harem picture.

    You are correct of course, people do bring preconceptions to everything. When you offer the term "poly", it seems like it might apply to all three of you. But as you point out, power relationships are often explicitly built to be "not fair". And in fact all three of you seem to be pretty happy in your V.

    You said ask if we want to know and so I am asking. I know from reading what you write that you don't love your Master seeking other parties to play with or relate to. I am curious though (ok nosy) about how T feels about that. And how your Master would feel about you or T looking for someone else to play with. Do you not do it because you don't want to or because he doesn't want you to?

    sin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let t speak for herself, although I know that when we were just the two of us, she was very open to my playing with others and, in fact, used to often entertain my other partners (we called them "stunt butts" then) for lunch and dinner and even used to host "stunt butt parties" when we'd have them all over:)

    swan was yesterday hypothesizing about having a young (21 year old) sub she met on line move in as a house boy or slave and I found that idea intriguing. She'd be Topping him...possibly t would too. I wouldn't be too unhappy with her simply playing (as a bottom partner) with another, although I have to admit I have some level of feelings I'd have to tolerate or work through with that. I would have a problem were swan to be seriously "in love" or to want to enter into a new M/s or D/s relationship. I don't think that would be likely.

    t is not open to bottoming with me or others and I have decided not to demand that she cross that limit. I have pretty much become disinterested in bottoming, although I did go through a switch period for a few years a while ago. So that is not an option between us. I would have no problem in her Topping another guy and, in fact, have offered to recruit some for her. She is not interested however. Again, as with sue, a casual or even long term play relationship would not distress me, and I've always been more open than most to those with whom I'm seriously bonded to having casual sex with others, but I would not be open to her having a serious "in love" relationship with another.

    I have written this quickly to try not to censor my reactions. I think this is pretty much my response to the hypothetical, "What if your two were to pursue other relationships?"

    You state that you thought the term "poly" applied to all three of us. All three of us are poly. We are all of us in a three way relationship. The sexual expression within that relationship is bounded by our sexual orientations. We are all three of us straight. We are all three of us not equally "available." Nor are all three of us able to unilaterally commit to any form of relatedness. I don't need permission to engage with others. My two do. If that appears to be uneven it is because it is....inteentionally so on all three of our parts.

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have soooo many question that i feel it would be invasive if not disrespectful to even ask. So i will ask the one thing that confused me a bit from Your comment.. (to Himself here)
    "t is not open to bottoming with me or others and I have decided not to demand that she cross that limit."
    i read this as she does not bottom to You. If that is so i am soooo confused. LOL Begging clarity here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p, I think that the statement you quoted is pretty direct and declarative. No t does not bottom with me and has not for a number of years.

    Perhaps some further background would provide the clarity you seek. First of all, when I use the word "bottom" as a verb, I am referring to SM play, i. e., spanking, etc. t has lost her orientation to that.

    Long time readers and friends whose connection to us preceeds even this and its predecessor Blog may recall that in 2000 t was horribly ill for about six months. I almost lost her and at one point was given the word that there was almost no hope of her survival. During that very dark time, she underwent horrid pain. Pain that was sometimes so severe that there were no medicatiions that could really relieve it for her. Her orientation to sado masochism, her ability to eroticize pain as a hugely intense and welcome sensation and to engage in sensation play surrounding pain, was completely lost. She has never again been able to broach the prospect of "pain play" which for us had meant spanking, flogging, etc.

    t is my submissive and my wife. Were one to categorize her submission in terms commonly understood in the BDSM community, she would likely be deemed my service submissive. I love her dearly and were I too, I could exercise my Dominance by demanding that she submit to me in SM activity. I don't choose to do that. Having lived through, and nursed her through, the medical horror of her life in 2000, I completely understand what happened to her masochistic orientation, and have no desire to push her beyond her current limits for pain tolerance and/or appreciation.

    Perhaps that provides the additional clarity you seek.

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You so much for Your response. i fully understand now. i hadnt even stopped to consider it was referring to SM type pain play, i kind of lumped the whole bottom/sub part together. i also am not a masochist nor pain puppy nor even respond positively to pain so i well understand. Again, i thank You for giving me clarity. i enjoy the glimpse into the parts of Your lives You all 3 share with us. And t, i'm glad you made it through that rough time and are here and btw looking great after your recent surgery!! Both of you!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any questions, I just wish to say thank you for this blog and the comments following it. I, too, have wondered about your dynamic. Knowing I was just curious (nosy?) I would never have asked for details, so thanks for explaining. I adore all of your blogs and think you three are very awesome people. (My only complaint is that you all write so well I sometimes hesitate to comment for fear of messing up my grammar and/or word usage, etc. I would be so embarrassed! :-D )

    butterfly

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.