Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

7/27/2009

Subspace

There's plenty of information available on the web about the phenomenon of subspace; how it occurs and what it feels like. For those who are curious, Google will net more reading material on the subject than you can imagine. And... until it happens to you personally, I don't think it is possible to fully understand or appreciate the experience.

I don't make it to subspace very often, and I quit trying to get there a long time ago. When it happens, it is a wonder, and I come away from the experience feeling grateful and completely awestruck. Saturday was one of those times...

We slept very late it the morning. It had been a wildly stormy night, and by the time all the lightning and thunder settled down, we'd had a less than restful night. So, it was nearly noon when He took me OTK, with a whole pile of implements pulled from the collection. He is still experimenting, figuring out what works and what doesn't work in that position. After the last time, I was more intrigued than frightened. I was still carrying the memory of the intense connection I experienced with Him the last time we tried this, and there was a part of me that was eager to get back to that place.


I don't know exactly which implement sent me into space this time. Something pretty intense and heavy, but it really doesn't matter. I always have the sense that I can "see" the edge approaching. It feels to me like falling into subspace is a bit like approaching the top of the first big hill on a roller coaster. I climb closer and closer and closer to the peak, and then, just as I come to the point of plunging down the drop, I launch into a darkness that is warm and soft and stunningly quiet.


Subspace happens in slow motion. Everything is still there; the sound of His voice; the impact of the paddles; the warmth of His touch. I've heard and read that subspace deadens the sensation; numbs the experience; allows a greater pain tolerance through a sort of dissociation, but I don't experience it that way. When I fall into subspace, I am enveloped in a sort of mental calm while every nerve is alive and every sensation is heightened so that each of my senses encounter the paddle strokes with openness and total fascination.
In subspace, paddle strokes have colors. Every impact sets off flashing bright fireworks that burst against the inky blackness. The pain washes over everything, and it has colors too; iridescent peacock blue, and amethyst, and the shining green of tree frogs. The sounds develop a sonorousness that they don't have in the everyday world -- my own breath thunders in and out of my body, punctuated by groans and grunts and whimpers. The tip of a knife rasps from skin cell to skin cell as if it were bouncing along a cobblestone path. His voice booms to me from the ceiling and the walls and the cushion beneath my cheek, and it is the most solid thing in the whole world. When I'm flying, every stroke sends energy surges through me; following the nerve paths, until my feet seem to lift up of their own accord, and the tips of my ears tingle and sparkle, and I feel my skin flush with a glow that is pure power.


One of the more intriguing features of subspace for me is the convening of a whole chatty committee of internal voices that seem to stand around and discuss the whole process. They babble on and on among themselves in a conversation that I recognize as "me," but since they seem to be talking ABOUT me, it is just odd: "Wow! That one must have really hurt... Of course, it hurt, dummy, its a paddle... Yeah, but its all sort of exciting, don't you think?... This is just weird, maybe we should be quiet... Nah, she doesn't care... Oooooh! That's a good one..." On and on the bunch of them go, and their burbling forms a sort of stream flowing over smooth stones backdrop curtain of sound.

Most of all, subspace is completely, utterly safe; anchored in His presence, and the sheer, powerful awareness of Him guiding and protecting me. I have long been convinced that I go to subspace if He allows it, and I believe there is some shared energy between us that fuels the launch off into that place.


If, in fact, all of that is simply an artifact of some sort of endorphin cocktail surging through my veins, then it may be, but if that is the case, it is a poor sort of science to take the heart out of such a fierce encounter with the self and the other.


swan

11 comments:

  1. i think that is possibly the very best description i have read on subspace swan...

    though it is different for everyone you have caught the essence of it for sure !!

    so glad you had a wonderful time :)

    oh yeah... and i didn't forget.. Happy Anniversary (again) :) :)

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really made me smile. It is indeed a very different experience for everyone, and I've found the most difficult thing to describe, even to myself never mind to others.....but the colours, the complete facination and wonderment of the whole process, oooooh yeah, all of that!!

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is maybe the best description of subspace I've ever read. I have not felt it now in a very long time since our D/s-ness seems to be on hiatus, at least the sexual aspect of it. We're comfortable with just having rough vanilla sex these days. We're at the point now where that's okay, it is what it is, if the other stuff comes back, okay, if not, hey, that's okay too...anywho!

    WHEN I felt subspace, it was very much the way you describe here; everything in slow-motion and how quiet everything becomes and yet his voice sounds like it's booming even though he's speaking quietly. And my life becomes this pinpoint of Him. It's all Him, He's everything and I'm His and nothing but His. I am empty but for Him. Passive, almost drugged feeling. But euphoric.

    Dan is very much Capital H during that time. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an absolutely beautiful read. Thank you!

    I like to think of the "science" of subspace as something working WITH me. I'm a woman of faith, and to me, the "science" involved isn't something that takes away from it--it amazes me that God (whoever He may be to each of us) created those endorphins in such a way to respond to the One he has given us to love and serve. Not sure if that's clear, but your last line was...incredibly powerful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an amazingly talented writer, Swan. Thank you for finding the words to describe your experience, and for your willingness to share those words with us.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. morningstar, and M:e -- I hope I didn't overstep. I never intended to try and describe this "for everyone." I imagine the experience is utterly unique for each one of us. Really, I was just trying to capture the sense of it "for me."

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo of the three of you at the top of the page. The description of subspace for you was refreshing, compelling, and lots of other adjectives.

    Blessings
    Dinora

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:01 PM

    "In subspace, paddle strokes have colors. Every impact sets off flashing bright fireworks that burst against the inky blackness. The pain washes over everything, and it has colors too.."

    Are you sure you weren't smoking pot?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, doubleknot -- I've never smoked pot, or tobacco for that matter. My subspace "hallucinating" is all entirely original; unaided by substances. Master did tell me that He thought what I was describing was much more akin to dropping acid than smoking pot -- He would know :-)

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just as an interesting sidenote here, I've read many of Dr. Oliver Sacks books on how our brains are wired and there are people who "see" sound or feel colors, etc.

    Most of his books center around people who have had some kind of neurological damage but that doesn't mean you have to be damaged or drugged to experience this. It's called "synesthesia" and it can happen spontaneously the way Swan has described here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:24 PM

    I've never dropped acid. I have smoked pot.

    I've never gone to subspace, sadly.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.