Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

1/27/2006

Dr. Visit Update

Went and saw the doctor today as scheduled.

Things are coming along fine. I am healing but not healed. There are still stiches on the inside, and it is still way more tender than I expected. I was really not prepared for that. So another ten days before there can be any sexual intercourse. Major disappointment.

I am also still significantly anemic. Even though I've been taking additional iron supplements right along. That was an issue before the surgery, and the doctor says that it is common for patients to drop two points because of the surgery. I was 10.3 before surgery (normal is 12). Todays I measured 9.6. Not fabulous. No wonder I'm so tired. I have to go back in a month to do some more blood work. It is clear that she is starting to be more than just a little worried about that part of life...

She did release me to go back to work in another week. If I restrict my time on my feet -- sit down about half the time and don't do anything other than the teaching day. No extra activities. She really would have preferred another week off, but we compromised.

I did have the FISTING talk with her, and she was very good with me. Never batted an eye. She assures me that there is still just as much room as there was before, and that once things have finally healed, in two to four months, we can try that again as long as we go very slowly and carefully. So that was a relief. The part I was most worried about turned out fine.

It was just all the other stuff, that I thought would be a piece of cake that isn't as good as I thought it would be...

I'm not sure how I feel. Relieved for the long run and disappointed for the short term. Oh well, I'm sure that it will all be fine eventually. It is all going to be "fabulous" someday. That's what I keep hearing. I'm trying to keep on believing.

Right now, I'm just trying to keep believing in Feb. 6. That's 10 days. The day after my birthday. We'll maybe get to see if this sucker actually still works worth a damn.

swan

7 comments:

  1. I know you said you're taking an iron supplement, but you might want to ask (if this isn't the one you take) if you should switch to SlowFE 75. It releases into your body over a longer period of time, allowing you to absorb it better. Less is lost in the digestive process. I've been anemic (down to 7 at times) for 9 years, and that's the only supplement that has been helpful. Just a thought, worth what you paid for it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:32 AM

    kaylem is right, you should have some vitamin c alongside the iron, oj or an orange every day would be great. Also, have you checked to see what you might be eating or drinking that could be retarding the iron? Rye bread, whole grain breads, teas, coffee, cola, red wine...any of these in larger amounts or around the time you are taking the supplement will cancel it out. Iron rich foods will also help the supplement work better too. It is a whole body repair, not just one area. Make sure there is balance in each part of you to make the whole heal better. Team effort! Go team!

    Ever the helpful one and so very talkative (although I have been sick this week),
    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:17 AM

    On the whole good news swan.
    That's good advice from your friends.
    Mel had this operation in her mid thirties, what Dancer said was true for her.
    Just one other thought for you, the liver and kidneys function best during sleep, did your doctor suggest you take your iron supplements before you sleep?
    Sending positive thoughts dear girl,
    Love and hugs. :-)
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. regarding the anemia: consensus is that best way to combat it is iron, vitamins, and folic acid.

    Which when it comes to dietary supplements that amounts to the mix they have for pregnant women.

    then there's food that supplies folic acid and iron (plus other goodies) in combination, like broccoli, brussels sprouts, and spinach.
    Oh, and liver..

    Glad to hear you're doing ok though. :)
    And the birthday thing is simply proof that Murphy's Law is humming along nicely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you can all stop worrying...Swan and I ADORE liver! AND Brussel Sprouts and Spinach and Broccoli...Tom will do the veggies but NOT the liver... Liver makes him shiver (along with any bean that ain't green!).

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed with you for having that conversation with your doctor! I know how hard it is to ask such things and have to admit I've chickened out on numerous ocassions : /

    c.p.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the great input. I am already taking a daily vitamin mineral supplement, at Master's insistence. It is a product called Vialert and contains vitamin C and folic acid as well as iron, along with a number of other vitamins, herbal supplements, and minerals. I take two of these a day, and so receive a pretty good level of supplementation already. I've added to that an iron supplement called Gentle iron which adds 139% of the RDA twice a day, plus a vitamin C supplement and brewer's yeast. All of these are aimed at helping the absorption issues.

    I am assuming that, if the doctor's estimation of a 2 point drop in the hemoglobin level after surgery is accurate, then I was probably down to about 8.3. I've then recovered to 9.6 and am on my way back up. We're making some dietary changes and are getting aggressive about this anemia issue. I'll get back where I need to be. It is just a factor in the recovery that needs to be dealt with.

    One more thing...

    I am, as always humbled by all your support and care.

    Thanks for being there.

    swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.