Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

1/02/2006

Viking Funerals

Years ago, only months after the birth of the wild child, the husband and father to my two children had a vasectomy, and I stopped thinking about birth control. At gynecologist appointments in the years that followed, I answered the inevitable question about my birth control method by stating that my husband had a vasectomy. One physician commented, wryly, that that kept him from becoming a father, but others simply made a chart note and went on. I occasionally noted to myself that the vasectomy choice kept me faithful, but had my hands full with survival and so did not let my thinking dwell in that realm in those years.

When life shifted and our poly relationship began to evolve, I was, for the first time in over 20 years, confronted with the issue of managing the question of preventing unwanted pregnancy as a result of engaging in adult sexual intimacy. Our sexual dynamic developed slowly and with a good deal of starting and stopping, but eventually, it became clear that there was a need to address the potential for conception to occur if we were to continue on as we were. I needed to make an active birth control choice. I made an appointment with my doctor.

That encounter was interesting. I was not a young woman, even then, and I was clear about what I did and did not want in the way of contraceptive methodologies. I'd done my homework, was a committed and responsible and determined adult, and when I talked with my doctor, I told him that I wanted a good, old-fashioned diaphragm that I'd have control of and that would not be screwing with my already tenuous hormonal balance. He was a little taken aback, and as it turned out, did not have a currently viable kit for fitting such an "archaic" device. We had to wait while he ordered a new kit. Good grief. Eventually, the "raincoat" as we've come to refer to the little devil was duly fitted and delivered and we've used it to good effect, making sure that no unexpected additions to Clan Heron have come about (at least in that way).

Now, obviously, there is no need for the "raincoat" any longer... I am still recuperating. Not feeling fabulous, but doing better each day. The weather here is unseasonably warm and the pond behind our home beckons...

I simply cannot stop seeing in my mind's eye the vision of the diaphragm, floating away on the pond in the dark, tealight candle burning brightly in the night, Norse music drifting off to the stars as the smoke carries the brave little warrior off to its final resting place...

swan

3 comments:

  1. And I'm going to, by god, order that cross bow I've been eyeing to shoot flaming arrows over the pond as our old friend sails off into the sunset. All those little old retired people, our neighbors, who are already aghast at our comings and goings back and forth between our two condo's, are really going to love this one. I bet they have a speical meeting of the condo association board to issue a ban on Viking funerals for birth control devices on the complex ponds:)

    All the best and Happy New Year everyone:)

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:42 PM

    I think it sounds wonderful. And were I to need to ponder birth control again...(the medley of children around here might possibly indicate the desire to have PREVIOUSLY considered those options although I did learn that turning off the TV or receiving roses quite often resulted in the birth of a child... ) I would also ponder that archaic method as my only choice. Master himself is fixed already, and the Other will be within a few months. Considering that the Other is the only person I would have any more children with I am in mourning for the loss of that possibility. Regardless of the fact that I am perfectly content with what we already have...

    At any rate, I think I was actually just trying to say, it sounds lovely and I for one think you should most certainly do that.

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:06 PM

    What a lovely idea swan, do you have any suitable and appropriate treasures to despatch with the deceased warrior.:-)
    I can't say that I mourned the loss of such devices neither did Mel. :-)
    Hugs.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.