Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

5/17/2008

Counting Get Ups

Many, many years ago, while I was still teaching in Colorado, it was the practice for the teaching staff to rotate through "morning duty." Morning duty consisted of watching over the children as they gathered outside of the school before the bell rang and the day officially began. Mostly it amounted to making sure that no one got hurt or kidnapped.

I am not a morning person. I never have been. So, for me, morning duty was challenging as I would try to wake up and simply cope with a whole lot of random, bouncy kid energy.

One morning, in May, I was standing out, doing my duty, when a bright-eyed, energetic little first-grade girl came bounding up to me to declare, "Mrs. D, there are only 16 more get ups!" I knew this little one. She had two older sisters, and had been around the school since she was an infant. She had the sort of confident air that children get when they are extremely comfortable in a particular setting.


Hearing her exuberant joy about 16 get-ups, I peered down at her, and said, "Really? And what are get-ups, Katie?"


She proceeded to explain to me that she hated to get up in the morning. She was quite sure that getting up and getting dressed was the worst part of the day. In her view, once she was up and dressed, the worst of it was over with, and the rest of the day was no problem. Therefore, as the school year came to a close, Katie was counting "get-ups."


Well. Out of the mouth of babes. I am with Katie. Like her, I believe that getting up is the worst of it all. Once I'm up and dressed, the rest of the day feels way more manageable.


So, as the school year draws, once again, toward its end. I am remembering Katie, who by now must be in high school, and am counting get-ups. So, in case you are wondering, there are 13.


swan

4 comments:

  1. I had to laugh over this post. I read your title about "get ups" and assumed this was an entry with yet another BDSM term I with which I was naively unfamiliar...(are we talking costumes? or how many lashes before you can get up? WHAT??)

    yeah...I'm with you and Katie...but since I wear the collar of one chained to The Man in our society...I have no summer free of get ups.

    sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I would be looking forward to the "getup" countdown...except that when the "getups" stop, the "stayathomealldayanddrivemecrazybecauseheisboredandoh
    godwhocanwehaveaplaydatewithTODAYs"start LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:58 PM

    Out of the mouths of babes.. Oh how I miss those smart, perceptive little people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tangerine -- I remember THOSE chains! I know that, while it feels like I have NO life for most of the school year, that I am very lucky to have these upcoming weeks to recover and revive my energies. Perhaps, through the break, you'll have a bit of time as well, and we can get together...
    That would be good!

    Devani -- I know that my impending release signals the time when the mommy's and daddy's of the world have to take on the full-time kid duty. I'd probably be sympathetic if I weren't so gosh darned tired!

    swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.