Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

5/18/2008

Would Like to Meet People -- But Not People Like You

We participate on a variety of lists and boards. Recently, someone in our area posted this (edited) message on a group list that serves our area:

I am rather new to this lifestyle and to be honest still a bit overwhelmed... My partner of 7 years recently opened up our relationship...we both agree that until I have a mutual friend the imbalance was just a bit uncomfortable...I guess what I want to know is if there are any like minded ppl in Cincinnati?

So I responded --

Hello ...I'm not clear exactly what it is you are looking for. Friendship could be a possibility. If you want to check us out, our Blog is a good place to start...

And Master augmented the invitation like this:

As my swan responded with this offer of support she failed to mention that yes, we are in Cincinnati ...So we are in your area. I hope we can be helpful as you process through this.


The guy went and checked out the Blog, and today we have an email that says: I went to your blog site and no offense meant but your side of the fence does not appeal to me or my partner in the slightest. I feel quite certain that we are looking for more mainstream relations and not the BDSM. I am thinking at this point I am just going to continue posting on thesite and see how things progress from there.
Wants to meet like minded people; just not like minded people like us. Makes me want to grab this person by the shirt front and ask, "People like us? What sort of people do you think we are? Yes, we practice BDSM, but we are hardly one dimensionally "into" BDSM, and I don't believe that our Blog reflects that. We have mainstream careers, and vanilla friends, and community interests, and families, and a host of everyday, ordinary, human things that we engage in and talk about. Refusing to have anything to do with us, simply because ONE of the facets of our life is BDSM is exactly comparable to refusing to have anything to do with us because we are liberals, or because we are older, or because we question much of the mainstream religious tradition that is common in this society (and maybe those things are as much an issue for this guy as the BDSM). Actually, WE never ever mentioned the BDSM side of things -- never made it a prerequisite or an issue. I think, that people who take a chance on us, find us interesting and engaging and hospitable.

But then, as I think about it, if this character DOES operate at such a myopic interpersonal level, it may just be that we don't want to meet people like HIM.

Blech!



swan

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:41 PM

    Ya know, you might have a have a point! I have truly been taken aback by friends who are otherwise reasonable people. They are spankos, but declare "they", those other people over there, fingers pointed, are "sick". "They" are BDSMers, homosexuals, polygamists, people who are different than I, and whom I must adamantly differentiate myself from so that I make it clear that my difference is more mainstream than your difference, so that I can feel that I am OK, acceptable...i.e. normal. In truth, the more you can accept yourself, with your quirks and all, the more comfortable you are in accepting others. We do not have to be alike to have respect, or a meeting of the minds, do we? Hey, we could even be really different and still like each other! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blog on spiritual topics as well as sexual ones. I have more than one blog. I've run into this myself. I only shrug my shoulders about it and go about my business for the exact conclusion you also mentioned...that I don't want to share myself with anyone of such judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah and I bet you guys are so abnormal that you have horns and pointed tails and never wear anything but leather, obviously you don't take out the trash or mow the lawn or visit the supermarket etc

    Ignore the idiots, the rest of us are much nicer!!!

    Hil

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....Leather? Oh, PLEASE! Everyone KNOWS that we only wear leather for grocery shopping and lawn mowing... the rest of the time we are NEKKED!

    T (who is about to run the trash to the dumpster in the buff!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yet he treated you exactly how he fears being treated by others who don't understand his poly choices.

    Life...she is full of irony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara is a smart woman (I assume a woman) and so is tangerine.

    Intolerance is one of the most frustrating problems of this world.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.