Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

5/26/2008

New Status

On the last Sunday of each month, we join Master's father for a wonderful gourmet brunch served at the independent living center where he now resides. For $15.00 ($7.00 for Grandpa) each, there is more wonderful food than we can possibly eat: prime rib, stuffed flounder, grits, chicken cordon bleu, fresh fruit, corn pudding, shrimp cocktail, steamed crab legs, hash brown potatoes, wonderful green beans and sweet potatoes, a host of muffins, pancakes, and rolls, made to order omelettes, roast turkey, and a wealth of desserts --all washed down with champagne.


It is, for us, a time to sit and spend some relaxed and gently paced time with the ninety-year-old man who is parent to the wonderful Man that T and I love so dearly. For Grandpa, it is an opportunity to show off a bit -- "this is my family." Really, it is a lovely bit of time in our month.


With all of that said, I still find that I fuss about getting to this particular "thing." It is another one of those places that has come to feel awkward and oppressive to me as I assume that nebulous role in the context of the family. We would never, ever confront Grandpa with our particular living situation. He wouldn't understand, and knowing would distress him terribly.


So, at these things, as people encounter us, and enquire as to "who these people are with you, Grandpa?," I have learned to simply exit the conversation mentally. Whatever explanation that is given for my presence, I find it is simpler to allow my hearing issues to take me away from the situation and let those around me work out the details of "who I am."


It was that escape mechanism that caused me to miss the moment yesterday.


It happened that some of the other residents of the facility stopped by our table to chat, and asked the inevitable question about Dad's dining partners. He never missed a beat. He simply said, "This is my son, and my daughter-in-law, and my other daughter-in-law." Just like that, without question or fuss or upset, I have been taken in and made a part.


It is a thing that makes my heart glad, and moves me to tears. I haven't really paid too much attention to it just yet -- except to be amazed. It is so amazing that this very upright, very proper man, who has seemed so rigid, has come to give me this space. Somehow, that matters to me -- very much.


swan

9 comments:

  1. Swan,
    How lovely for you to receive this acceptence. For those of us in 'alternate' type relationships, it is difficult to offer an acceptable (vanilla) version and let it go at that. Whether his father realizes more than you think or he just has come to love and accept you as another family member, does not really matter, you are accepted.

    It is a shame that society does not allow acceptence and validation (and more importantly legal recognition) of alternate family models.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:48 PM

    OMG Swan, that brought tears to my eyes. The old often have a wisdom that us younger and self righteous do not. They begin to know what matters and what does not...the love, the acceptance, the kindnesses of life rather than the rules of convention. I am so very glad he held out his hand to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:36 PM

    Aw, we often forget that the elderly know the world, maybe even as we do.

    His acceptance is perfect...what does he care about cultural stigmas or legal dogmas. His life is complete and serene, and you, dear Swan, make it happen.

    Ain't life grand?

    Sir's pet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:17 AM

    Swan,

    Because we are human, we want to be loved and accepted as we are,,,,and the gift of acceptance, acknowledgment means so much.

    I rejoice with you,,,

    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear swan...... validation.. that is what grandpa gave you...... validation..... what a wonderful gift!! It is so important to each and every individual to be validated.. to be made visible...

    i am so damn happy for you !!!

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so lovely, swan. I'm truly happy for you. There's nothing like being accepted.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  7. It matters VERY MUCH to us all, Swan!

    It was a great moment....and about damned time.

    Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sooo happy for you. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:56 PM

    Beautiful, Swan. Just beautiful. Lilly

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.