Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

10/16/2008

Huh?




Huh?


Sometimes life is just strange. Probably not for all the rest of you, but for me (and us) -- oh yeah!


We grilled some shark steaks for dinner a couple of nights ago. Actually, He grilled. Because He grills. It is His thing. Sometimes, depending on how tired He is, one of us is allowed to clean out the grill and set up the fire -- maybe even start the fire, but the actual cooking of whatever critter is His.


So, He grilled the shark and I made up some zucchini fritters and sauce to go with it. A nice enough dinner with a decent white wine. All good.


Except a few, leftover pieces of the shark weren't quite as done as He thought they should have been. Not a problem actually. We had plenty of perfectly done fish for the meal. The rest will become another meal; probably tonight. But, He just couldn't let it go -- those pieces of fish just HAD to go back on the grill. The only thing is, He wasn't into grilling anymore, so it was me who ended up dragging them back out to the patio to put them back on the fire.


Now, for reasons that are not entirely clear to me, I was having a moment. I don't know why. Just was. Pissy about the whole business, and pretty much everything in the whole universe. That sort of thing comes over me now and then -- a sense that it all just isn't fair or right or nice; the voice that whispers that I work all day too, and cook the meal and clean up the meal, and am just as gosh darned tired as everybody else -- so why me? Of course, the answer is that it is me because He says it is -- and I know that perfectly well. I just wish someone would tell the annoying voice!

Anyway, I gathered up the fish parts and hauled myself out and stuck them back on the grill and timed for the appropriate span of minutes and then pulled them back off the fire and back into the house. And then, I did the dishes and took out the trash and tidied up for the next morning. It wasn't that big a deal and it didn't take me all that long, but I am sure that I had that "face" thing going because He looked at me and asked me, "What's wrong, honey?"

And I really didn't have an answer for that exactly. I told Him that I was just having "a moment," and that I'd be fine -- just working it out. Of course, He knew exactly where my head was, and pursued it: "Are you upset about having to cook the fish?" Man, I hate it when He does that!

"Yes. I'm just feeling crabby about things. I'll get over it. Don't worry." All of that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That's when He asked the question that just stopped me in my tracks: "If you didn't want to do it, why did you do it?"

?????????????????????????? Huh? I was just dumbstruck. Finally, looking at Him like He'd landed from another planet, I said (as calmly as I could manage), "Did you really just ask me that?"

Really. That seems like a question that just doesn't even have a reason to get asked. Why did I do it? Because I do what He asks me to do. Always. Even when I feel some sort of reaction or response or resistance -- I do it because that is who I am.

swan

7 comments:

  1. Oh swan, I can just see your face, chuckles.
    Warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:53 PM

    Ha! Do you have a bruise on your foot from where your jaw hit? Was he trying to make you feel better or did he just want to hear the words? Or was it supposed to be a reminder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. tell me swan.. did His question make you angry????

    Sir asks me questions like that.. or will say something like "let's do this or that....... (then He takes a breath and says) if you want to??"

    and my blood boils....

    did it make you angry??

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul -- yes. I was just a bit stunned. If you are picturing "puzzled, stunned, jaw-hanging-open," you've got it!
    Hugs, swan

    impish1 -- I am pretty sure that He just wanted to know. I don't think that it seemed like an odd question to Him. After all, He doesn't usually do things He doesn't want to do. My compliance with and conformity to His needs and desires is normally so seamless, that I don't think He gives much thought to the possibility that sometimes I just don't want to. It is an experience gap I think.

    littleone -- I was ALREADY angry. Totally grumpy about a whole raft of "issues." So, no... His question didn't make me angry. It really did just stun and surprise me.
    I think, though that I do understand what you are referring to -- that sort of "non-Dominant" sound that they can sometimes make when they are trying to be nice, or really just don't care one way or another -- that causes that "if you want to..." addendum. That doesn't really make me angry either, but it does sometimes kind of scare me.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:57 AM

    What a picture that painted. Made me smile cos I could imagine being either side of that conversation.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:44 AM

    Was He honestly puzzled as to why you did something you didn't want to do or was He trying to "soothe" your moment with getting you to verbalize that you did it *because* you're the slave?

    Master will do that to me when I get pissy. Sometimes, having to answer it verbally (I do it because I am your slave, Sir. Because I chose to be your slave.) is like having cold water thrown on my fire.

    Other times, it's like having gasoline thrown on my fire..lol.

    kaya

    ReplyDelete
  7. My perspective of this was, I didn't order swan to put the shark leftovers back on the grill for a few more minutes. I did say I thought it would be good if we did that and I didn't feel like doing it. swan very submissively, despite feeling "bent" about some unknown upset, went back out put the fish on the grill for a few minutes, and then came back in behaving like she was pouting and angry. I chose not to address her attitude. I knew she was feeling upset and stressed about her Mother's impending visit. I just wasn't wrapped up in further cooking these fish leftovers and was sincerely questioning, "If further grilling the fish was going to upset you, why did you do it?"

    Sheesh, so much for trying to be the sensitive Master.

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.