Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

10/27/2008

Kitchens

Our living arrangements have been discussed here before. We live, side by side, in two condominiums which have identical, although mirror-imaged, floor plans. We've laid stepping stones, both front and back, that allow us to ramble between the two places and treat them as one household.



We sometimes talk, and dream, and imagine the possibilty of one home, under one roof. Inevitably, in doing that, we come to wonder how we might establish that single address without giving up the things we value in having our two "homes" that are one "home." One thing that comes up, every time we talk about it, is the "kitchen situation."



We have two kitchens; two stoves, two ovens, two refrigerators, two sinks, two dishwashers, two working pantries... We each have our own cookware -- the pots and pans and utensils that are the commonplaces of any kitchen. Our tastes in these items is divergent. T likes hers and I like mine -- my pans, my knives, my glasses... We keep our pantries and our refrigerators differently, and we stock different items. In our two kitchens we are simply different, although each of us fancies ourself a pretty good cook.



Not surprisingly, perhaps, in all the time we've spent together, our only serious scrapes have been in the kitchen. We are careful to not step on one another's toes in the kitchen. Help? Of course. We both do what we can to help and assist, but we've learned through years spent doing this dance, that we may share a great love and that is good. We just need to stay out of one another's kitchens.



And that is the practical truth of living polyamorously.


swan

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:31 AM

    That's pretty funny. I think the truth is people who are into their kitchens as a space they value get that way. Grant and I do. He was a professional chef at one time. It is a lovely thing, except when he gets all Dommy in MY kitchen! He seems to think it is HIS! LOL. We have had scuffles over Tupperware. Some things are sacred, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand, I hate to cook in any kitchen other than my own. I am used to using MY stuff...knives, pans, etc.

    Of course for holidays, having two kitchens would be a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:54 AM

    I'm probably more territorial about the kitchen than any other room in my home, including the bedroom, though I'd never considered it before reading this posting. Maybe its because whenever anyone is here its the kitchen which is often the focus of 'looking after' people and, at home, thats MY job....lol.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mate has stated multiple times that the only way he'd ever live under the same roof with two women again is if they had separate kitchens. :) (From past BAAAD experiences) Me, it's not so much the kitchen...I've just come out of a really bad situation where I lived with my ex-spice (at the time my husband and our "wife"), and she and I were just NOT suited to living together. And there are enough similarities that I know living with my mate's and my girlfriend would NOT be a good idea. Sometimes, as much as people may love each other, they really shouldn't *live* together. Across the parking lot, or a situation like yours - that's about as close as I think will work.

    *sigh* Unfortunately, I'm starting to get hints that that's what she wants (the whole living together under one roof thing). And I definitely do *not*...so this may get "interesting".

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.