Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

10/02/2008

Fear and Risk

Jojo raised an important question in a comment left on the "I am in Love " post:

I have often wondered if you are fearful of posting pictures of yourself online. I like seeing your happy family. Yet I fear some ignorant and judgemental people will somehow identify you through this blog and use it to threaten your job. I also understand not wanting to live your life in the shadows and being afraid to express who you are. Do you ever worry about kids or parents finding your blog

Where does one begin to respond to a concern that is so deeply felt and so kindly expressed? There is plenty to say about this particular issue.


If the question is, "Are you afraid?" then the answer is, "yes." There are real risks to being "out" in any degree about a lifestyle that is outside the social norms in our society. We live there on at least two counts: polyamory and BDSM. In fact, I doubt very much that even remaining fully "closeted" about alternative lifestyle choices is going to provide what might be considered some sort of "fool-proof" guarantee of safety. The risk cannot be eliminated. Our lives can, and occasionally do, attract attention -- and sometimes our reality scares people who do not understand. Add to that the often significant contingent of people who just DO NOT APPROVE, and it is pretty easy to begin to see "enemies" and "threats" everywhere. Any reasonable person might worry under those circumstances, and we do.

The only way to be "safe" from those who might seek to do some sort of damage if they become angry, resentful, or spiteful is to simply not live in the way that we do. If there is no perceived difference between "us" and "them," then there is no real basis for anyone to try to attack us.

So, we could pretend; pretend to be "normal;" pretend to not be who we are with each other or in the world. There's a whole other level of harm and damage to making that choice. Surely the loss of our lives together would be a huge destructive force for us. We would be damaged if we felt ourselves forced to withdraw from the community of like-minded people with whom we've connected through this and other media.


So, yes there's risk, and the potential for real harm -- and so there is a level of fear. We choose not to be driven by that. We choose to believe that the majority of people are good and decent. We choose to hope that even those who might disagree with our choices will not become overtly hostile or behave in ways that are deliberately malicious. We are conscious of the possibilities, and we try to take care not to let our "alternative" lifestyle writing and publications cross over into our "other" work and lives. It isn't perfect, but it is the balance that we strike.


Mostly, we try to be mindful but not "captured" by the worst possibilities. For us, the tag line that Master uses (Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.) is not just some pretty, clever throwaway bit. It really is the vision that is at the core of our family. We are not naive about the possibilities for trouble, but we are also not so fixated on the negative possibilities that we lose sight of the great benefits we've gained by daring to live as we believe we were meant to live.


swan




5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:48 PM

    Swan
    Well written and so true. I often wish I could do the talk show circuit promoting our lifestyle. I agree with you most all cyberworld folks I have met are very decent and kind.
    Ciao,
    I Gal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:05 AM

    Swan....good response to this question. I think many of us within this community would rather the potential dangers of living our lives didn't exist but they do. I agree giving those risks too much power robs us of our personal power and with it our freedom to make such choices.

    I made some mistakes at the beginning....naively either not realising how difficult it would be for some, even sometimes some within our community, to accept the lifestyle I had chosen. I learnt, and am much more circumspect about what I share with the world these days.

    I would agree though that the majority of those I've come across within this community have been open and supportive.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Swan. Thanks for your thoughtful response to my question. I never expected a full post!

    I found your blog and started reading it because I am interested in the idea of polyamory - that love can expand beyond two people. But it is an idea that threatens many people and I find that most mainstream folks are afraid of it - and of BMSD too. And fear does funny things to people - which is what generated my concern for you.

    I'm glad you feel the way you do and I love the words you posted in color. Good words to keep in mind for any situation. I also believe that most people are kind - epecially when we are talking about our families.

    Funny, but I have had the Thoreau quote on my office bullentin board for over 10 years! I have not seen Tom use the last phrase of it when he posts - but I think it may be the truest part for your family:

    "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."

    I wish you continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:07 PM

    I just wanted to say that I have 3 children in school and while I am not into BDSM or kink or even poly, I would be so happy to have you teaching my kids. It's obvious to me that you are a wonderful woman and I know those kids are reaping the benefits by having you as their teacher.

    PS: I read you because a dear friend of mine is poly and a submissive and she pointed me here to better understand.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Swan,

    Like jojo I so admire you, masters and T's bravery in posting your photos online. As I've said here before I am in a DD marriage and sometimes when we're at a party or gathering and my husband will say something like "thats enough Suzanne" in that tone that says "or else" I want to fall through the floor. I always wonder what people think, if they're talking about us to other people we know and are thinking, why do I "let" him talk to me like that. I wish I had one tenth of the courage all of you show. So many times when friends have asked why dont I tell him to go to hell or whatever I just laugh it off but wish I could just tell them the truth. Well of course I could but I cop out. Now that I wrote this I find being a "chicken" even more pathetic. I guess the bottom line is that how can we expect anyone else to accept our lifestyles if by hiding we dont fully accept them ourselves.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.