Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

10/09/2008

Shadows

A friend was telling me of spending time with a small child who had just become aware of his shadow.

Lovely image.

I was caught by the notion that there is some of that to WIITWD... seeing that shadow, and becoming engaged with it; chasing it and dancing with it in the same simple sense of wonderment that we might have had as a small child.

Because.

Coming to know our shadow is about coming to know ourselves.

In the most literal sense, shadows strip away all the externals and show us our own solid outlines -- without the frills and dazzlements. In shadow, we are two-dimensional. There is no "behind," and no "in-front." There is no "face." While shadows eliminate detail, they also eliminate hiddeness.
Most of us, if we are even a bit introspective, understand that there is something of the shadow to our natures as well. There are depths of our psyches/spirits/souls which do not come to light for us emotionally unless we choose to deliberately embrace the darkness that is ours. Whatever makes up that "shadow" interior -- secrets, fears, greed, pettiness, dreams, shames -- there is no living as a whole and balanced human without seeking out and making those parts of us welcome. It is, in my view, precisely that exploration of the dark within us that is facilitated by strong BDSM partnerships. Whether we are dominant or submissive, the pairing that BDSM creates can give us a companion who agrees to consciously and deliberately journey into our personal depths and darkest corners.
Shadow may even have spirit connotations for some of us. Some cultures understand an unattached or unattended shadow to be the manifestation of a ghost -- earlier generations called them shades. The belief is that the shadow represents some remnant of a life that has been unable to end for some reason. Other's might believe that shadows are evidence of God's power or presence around an individual -- hence shadows are the darker half of halos.
A friend stumbled into my "shadow cupboard" recently. It's a place where I write just for me, and where no one is supposed to look. Except me. I started doing that writing as an alternative to psychotherapy aabout a year ago. There, I pour out the fears and the resentments and the doubts and the sorrows that come and go from time to time. Because, there are times when I am not as solid or as serene as people sometimes think "slaves" are supposed to be. Perhaps other people get to that "life is wonderful all the time" place, but I don't have a map that takes me there. I get pissy and scared. For a long time, I felt like that part of who I am was shameful or somehow bad. I tried to repress those feelings -- tried to tell myself that the path to peace was to try and "kill" those feelings. Not acknowledging and embracing my "darker" places simply made me crazy. And spending precious time and resources with any of the "mental health professionals" that I've managed to link up with has seemed a colossal waste. So, upon occasion, I take myself off to my "cupboard" and I take out and examine whatever darkness is within me and upon me. I spend time feeling what I feel. I write what I need to write. I accept that part of who I am, put whatever it is in a safe place, and then I move on. For me, that works. I find that I visit that place less and less frequently. It abides in stillness and quiet for the most part, and I go through my days knowing it is there, but not burdened by it any longer.
Perhaps our very young children demonstrate something important for all of us -- the shadow is us. It is neither good nor bad; it simply is, and when we learn to dance with our shadows, we become more fully alive and more honestly human.
swan

4 comments:

  1. Swan, sometimes your wisdom moves me.
    We surely must see both the light and the dark in each other, without this our relationships are very shallow.
    I love you simile of dancing with our shadow, until we do this we really don't know ourselves which is the beginning of wisdom.
    Warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:15 AM

    This is an amazing piece. Like Paul, I particularly like your idea of dancing with our shadows. I also like this:

    "There are depths of our psyches/spirits/souls which do not come to light for us emotionally unless we choose to deliberately embrace the darkness that is ours. Whatever makes up that "shadow" interior -- secrets, fears, greed, pettiness, dreams, shames -- there is no living as a whole and balanced human without seeking out and making those parts of us welcome."

    Accepting every aspect of who we are, and having the whole of us accepted by those who love us, allows us to become skillful dancers.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really hit home with me mainly because I cant get to the solid serene place I think I should be at either. Im not a slave but that really doesnt matter. I have a great husband, healthy children, no financial problems and yet theres always that carrot that lurks in front of me. I cant seem to find true serenity. I've also been to those so called "professionals", one of whom had the unmitigated gall to tell me to look around so I could see how fortunate I am. He then prescribed this medication that zonked me out so much I could barely function. So there I was, an unhappy zombie. Im not much of a journal type. I wish I was though. Perhaps then a "shadow cupboard" would work for me as well as it did for you.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swan

    You and your writing, both here on the blog and to me in person, were a large part of the reason that I came to accept the "dark" part of me and to understand that I am not mad, bad or sad, I am just me.

    Since then I have been so much happier, even though there has been some significant fallout based on my new understandings about myself. I have not found what I know I need yet but I am far happier and more comfortable being me than I have ever been.

    This post sums up all this perfectly.

    Thank you

    Hil

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.