Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

12/06/2009

Bad Dreams

I am having awful, disturbing, scary dreams. Almost every night. Sometimes, I get so agitated that He wakes up and, finding me fussing and thrashing in my sleep, wakes me up. But then, if I go back to sleep, the dark images come pouring back.

This morning, I woke up in the early hours before dawn, shaken from the imagery of my dreams. I'd been completely immersed in a dream where I was climbing ladders up into winter-bare trees against a stark gray sky. I was dressed, head to toe, in a heavy, black woolen coat and a strange, almost derby-like black hat. In my dream, it was my job to knock dead blackbirds out of the trees so that they would not fall onto passersby on the sidewalks below. Some of the birds were dry and dessicated, and when they would hit the frozen ground they would shatter into a pile of feathers and "dust." Others of the dead birds were swollen and putrid. These birds would hit the ground with a sickening splat and release a nauseating stink into the freezing air.
I woke up feeling horribly distressed and upset about this particular dream. It has bothered me all day, leaving me feeling strung out -- raw and tender and angry and jittery. I don't put much stock in dream interpretation, generally, but this one feels so compelling. Here's some of what I found, looking around for what it might all signify:
  • To dream of dead or dying birds, foretells a period of coming disappointments. You will find yourself worrying over problems that are constantly on your mind.
  • To dream that you are climbing a tree, signifies that you will achieve your career goals and reach those high places in society. The degree of difficulty to which you climb the tree will measure the speed.
  • To dream that you are climbing up a ladder, suggests that you have reached a new level of achievement. It is symbolic of prosperity, hard work and your efforts.
  • To wear an overcoat in your dream, suggests that you are shielding yourself from life's hurt. You may be trying to put up a wall.
  • To dream that something stinks, suggests that you are not being supported by your social circle or your environment.
  • To see or wear a hat in your dream, indicates that you are hiding an aspect of yourself or that you are covering up something. Alternatively, it represents your attitude or the various roles and responsibilities you have in your waking life.
  • To see a blackbird in your dream, signifies a lack of motivation. You are not utilizing your full potential. Alternatively, it represents jealousy.
  • Black symbolizes the unknown, unconscious, danger, mystery, darkness, death, mourning, hate or malice.
Arrrghhhh!
swan

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:08 PM

    My only thought was, do you take anything to help you sleep? Melatonin, which is supposed to be natural gave me horrible scary nightmares. So did anti-depressant medication I used to take. *shivers thinking about that*

    *Hugggs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impish19:28 AM

    Oh Swan, I'm so sorry. Really horrible, bad dreams give me a knot in my chest that I carry around all day. That sounds like the worst of them. Imagery that strong often lasts longer. I wonder if it's not a delayed reaction to what you've come through so recently, and all those fears there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My opinions about dream interpretation is to not worry about what others think a symbol in a dream usually means. Very often it doesn't apply or doesn't apply in exactly the way it does for others.

    This is your dream and you have to decide what these symbols mean to you.

    I pay attention to recurring dreams and ones that I awake feeling haunted by.

    The rest are just leftovers from emotions of the day or they are me talking to me about something I want in the future. I do that when I'm awake, so what's the point in getting my panties in a bunch about doing that in my dreams?

    My two cents on this stuff in general? Take it all with a grain of salt...but pay attention too when it seems right.

    I think that this dream is significant for you if you want my opinion on it. I think its good that you are taking some time to acknowledge it.

    My gut instinct on this one is that the birds represent either an infection or they represent fears that you feel are festering or both.

    Trees seem to hold alot of emotion for you given past posts...they make you feel happy. You admire then and see them displaying the cycles of life.

    Personally? I think this might have to do with deeply buried fears about Tom and him being sick and you wishing you could beat up the big black uglies for him or I think this has something to do with some other situation in your life that's festering for you on a deep level.

    I think the dream is guiding you to face your fears...I suspect its nothing more full of portent than that...but even if its actually a prophetic dream (and yes, I do believe those happen), I would say its still your psyche speaking of fears that are festering and which will keep you feeling distressed if you don't face them.

    Hang in there...and I suspect that you can stop feeling so nervous about this dream as once dreams like this are acknowledged, they generally change into something less fearful or you just don't have the dream again because you've faced whatever it was that was bothering you.

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so appreciate all the thought and energy that people have put into responding to my personal nightmares. Thank you!

    doubleknot -- your question is a good one, but no, I am not taking anything to induce sleep, and I've been free of anti-depressant medication for a year. Thank goodness!

    Impish and Greenwoman -- I do think that my dreaming is about this last run of illness and surgery -- both with T's mom and then with Master. Our household has been in "embattled" mode for months and months. Certainly His bowel obstruction and consequent surgery put our plans and schedules in a heap, and we are only just now beginning to get it all sorted out again. Poor T is even more stressed than I am as she tries to juggle Himself and her mom's needs.
    For me, the biggest issue at this point is that He is still really post-surgical; feeling tender and worn out, and not really able to hold and snuggle as is our norm. We managed to make love very, very carefully on Sunday, and it was a cause for Him to be tender and sore. For me, it was scary and worrisome as I didn't want to hurt or harm Him in any way.
    I know that I am feeling protective of Him, but I am also feeling cutoff from Him -- unable to get in close and just bask in His embrace, and that has me feeling very lost and afraid and lonely. Intellectually, I really do understand that it is just a matter of time, and not nearly as awful as it might have been, but clearly there is a part of my heart and mind that is having none of that.
    I think all those birds are simply my mind picking on something that He feels as a threat (birds scare the willies out of Him), and then working to keep them at bay, clean them up, and remove them from the picture. Still, the whole thing has me stressed out and frazzled.
    Last night's dreaming was not quite as dismal. It revolved around some sort of medical issue that I was having; requiring some sort of al fresco blood transfusion as I was driven around town on a school bus loaded with doctors, nurses, a lady with two chimpanzees, and a young girl who had purchased a doll in Toddy, Illinois. What?!?!?!? When I woke up out of that one, the bus had pulled into a neighborhood of houses that all looked like David Winter cottages, and two of the doctors had gotten off and were standing on the sidewalk talking about how the one was going to stay in the place for the summer because his daughter was travelling. Oh. Please! And the whole time, I am sitting there on the bus holding my transfusion bag up above my head.
    Good grief! Somebody turn my brain off!

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! That's a great dream. I love it. LOL! I'm glad you recorded that one too...but that just goes to show that as you take a look at the fear stuff it starts to change the imagery of the dream to stuff that feels less threatening to you...and then its finally actually funny. *smiles*

    I'm sure that you'll feel more relaxed soon. ((hugs)) I hope all three of you get lots of rest!!!

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.