Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

12/16/2010

D. H. Lawrence -- The Poetry of the Present

We are caught.  Caught between our recent past, and our impending future.  The past is filled with pain and a deep sense of loss and regret.  The future is a murky and scary mess.  Between them, we are trying to stay alive, trying to find the occasional moment of rest and gentleness.  It is exhausting. 

So...  There is little to say here.  Everything feels impossible, and every word that any of us write carries enormous risks...  Instead, here is a wondrous bit of poetic essay from D. H. Lawrence.  Perhaps it can be enough for today.

swan

...But there is another kind of poetry: the poetry of that which is at hand: the immediate present. In the immediate present there is no perfection, no consummation, nothing finished. The strands are all flying, quivering, intermingling into the web, the waters are shaking the moon. There is no round, consummate moon on the face of running water, nor on the face of the unfinished tide. There are no gems of the living plasm. The living plasm vibrates unspeakably, it inhales the future, it exhales the past, it is the quick of both, and yet it is neither.  There is no plasmic finality, nothing crystal, permanent.  If we try to fix the living tissue, as the biologists fix it with formation, we have only a hardened bit of the past, the bygone life under our observation.
Life, the ever-present, knows no finality, no finished crystallisation. The perfect rose is only a running flame, emerging and flowing off, and never in any sense at rest, static, finished. Herein lies its transcendent loveliness. The whole tide of all life and all time suddenly heaves, and appears before us as an apparition, a revelation. We look at the very white quick of nascent creation. A water-lily heaves herself from the flood, looks round, gleams, and is gone. We have seen the incarnation, the quick of the ever-swirling flood. We have seen the invisible. We have seen, we have touched, we have partaken of the very substance of creative change, creative mutation. If you tell me about the lotus, tell me of nothing changeless or eternal. Tell me of the incarnate disclosure of the flux, mutation in blossom, laughter and decay perfectly open in their transit, nude in their movement before us.
Let me feel the mud and the heavens in my lotus. Let me feel the heavy, silting, sucking mud, the spinning of sky winds. Let me feel them both in purest contact, the nakedness of sucking weight, nakedly passing radiance. ..

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful, Sue. Thank you for this.

    "... the poetry of that which is at hand: the immediate present. In the immediate present there is no perfection, no consummation, nothing finished. The strands are all flying, quivering, intermingling into the web, the waters are shaking the moon."

    This is why I speak of what exists between me and the sadist as performance art, and why the snapshots that I, you, so many others present are a distorting illusion. At the moment things happen, they are the truth. But then the stream flows on, the light shifts, rocks appear, and everything changes.

    o.g.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I am a bit less esoterical
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k5wsEHVy-4

    They say happiness is a thing you can't see
    A thing you can't touch
    I disagree

    Happiness is standing beside me
    I can see him
    He can see me
    Happiness is whatever you want it to be

    Happiness is a high hill
    Will I find it?
    Yes, I will
    Happiness is a tall tree
    Can I climb it?
    Watch and see

    They say happiness is the folly of fools
    Pity poor me
    One of the fools

    Happiness is smiling upon me
    Walking my way
    Sharing my day
    Happiness is whatever you want it to be

    Happiness is a bright star
    Are we happy?
    Yes, we are

    Happiness is a clear sky
    Give me wings and let me fly
    Let me fly

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.